X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sizod
    Low Range
    • Jan 2007

Leak down test questions

My 73 sIII has been burning a little oil lately. I noticed it when the the truck is warm and idling or when pulling away I get a puff of blue then it clear until the next idle. I decided to conduct a leak down test, and the results are somewhat inconclusive. I started at cylinder 1, rotated the engine until the piston was TDC attached the airline which was set to 100psi pressure dropped to 20psi. The same happen to cylinders 2 and 4, but 3 was solid no pressure drop. With cylinders 1,2 and 4 I could hear an feel the air escaping through the exhaust. So it should indicate exhaust valve issue, right? However the pressure dropped seemed extreme for my blue smoke symptoms. So I retested again got the same results, however..... The cylinders were definitely at TDC but if when the pressure test was engage I rotated the engine ever so slightly the pressure would go back up and I could feel it against the wrench. I then disconnected the air rotated the engine slightly and reattached, gauge would the go up to 100psi then fluctuate and return to original 20psi reading that I was getting.

So I wondering its been 15 years since I last did a LD Test on an engine. Too much pressure? are the tappets are off slightly so that they aren't closed at TDC?

Am I'm on the right lines before I rip off and rebuild the head. thanks.
  • antichrist
    2nd Gear
    • Mar 2009

Should be TDC on compression stroke.
    There are a number of videos on youtube on doing a leak down test.
    Tom Rowe

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
    in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 reg
    67 NADA x2
    74 Air Portable - The Antichrist (tag 6A666)
    95 D1 - R380
    95 D90 - R380
    97 D1 - ZF

Comment

• d90dan
      Low Range
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sizod
      So I wondering its been 15 years since I last did a LD Test on an engine. Too much pressure? are the tappets are off slightly so that they aren't closed at TDC?

Am I'm on the right lines before I rip off and rebuild the head. thanks.

You can pull the rocker shaft and test again. If it still leaks, you've got a start on tearing it down.

Comment

• o2batsea
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

These readings are wet or dry? If I am not mistaken, part of doing a leak down test is to inject oil into the spark plug hole and test it when the cylinder is wet with oil. This helps seal up the ring gap on a cold engine. This you compare to the dry reading to tell you whether the leakage is valves or rings.

Comment

• sizod
          Low Range
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by antichrist
          Should be TDC on compression stroke.
          There are a number of videos on youtube on doing a leak down test.

I used both a vacuum/pressure gauge and the wooden stick method for finding TDC.

Comment

• sizod
            Low Range
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by o2batsea
            These readings are wet or dry? If I am not mistaken, part of doing a leak down test is to inject oil into the spark plug hole and test it when the cylinder is wet with oil. This helps seal up the ring gap on a cold engine. This you compare to the dry reading to tell you whether the leakage is valves or rings.
            Dry, the wet/dry method you are talking about is for a compression test.

Comment

• sizod
              Low Range
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by d90dan
              You can pull the rocker shaft and test again. If it still leaks, you've got a start on tearing it down.
              good point. I'll try that.

Comment

Working...