X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tweaked
    Low Range
    • Nov 2009

Sputter?

Hello all. I have a 58' series I with a 2.0L that's developed a sputter under load (pedal to the floor). About 2 years ago I replaced the exhaust valves and did a slight rebuild of the top end. After doing so the truck ran great. Some time down the road we were having issues with the Solex carb and it was suggested that we replace it with a Weber. We traded out the Solex for the Weber and once again the truck was running great. Fast forward several months and she developed this sputter. Low RPM's seem to be fine but with high RPM's, pedal to the floor, it sputters. It would seem as though it's not getting fuel. Any help as to what would be causing the problem? Thx!
  • lumpydog
    3rd Gear
    • May 2014

Originally posted by tweaked
    It would seem as though it's not getting fuel.
    Sometimes what it seems is what it is! Have you checked the fuel bowl on your fuel pump? Is it clean? If not, the fuel lines may have some level of blockage (check the fuel tank pickup tube, fuel lines, etc). Maybe the carb's jets are clogged?

Other thoughts: When was the last time you changed or checked the points on your distributor? Also - do you you have a spare condenser you can try with your distributor?
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

• stomper
      5th Gear
      • Apr 2007

9 times out of 10 it is electrical. clean and set the points, replace the condenser, and then see what you've got.
      Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• o2batsea
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by stomper
        9 times out of 10 it is electrical. clean and set the points, replace the condenser, and then see what you've got.
        This, X2

Comment

Working...