• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jackxter
    Low Range
    • Apr 2016

Series 2A Santana ??

Thoughts?
    Does anyone here have one? Are parts tough? Should I hold out?
    It's in another state - restored, looks great - priced under $20K
    What to do?
  • Contractor
    1st Gear
    • Jan 2013

Personally, I'd hold out for a Land Rover. In my opinion a Santana is not a Land Rover and it will never have the value an original IIA does.

To each his own though.......it's a decision only you can make.
    1969 IIA - Tan
    1969 IIA - Blue

Comment

• lumpydog
      3rd Gear
      • May 2014

I'd agree with contractor. They're a different animal in a lot of ways and parts may be an issue as well - although, there is a lot of overlap.

There are usually plenty of good Land Rovers for sale in your area - keep on Craig's list (and search your surrounding areas on Craig's list. as mentioned, eBay is a poor place to buy (mostly flippers - sellers that care about their truck sell elsewhere) - try other online classic car sites that specialize in selling classic cars. This is the time of year to be looking! Hold out for the right one - you only get to buy once.
      1968 Series IIa
      1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

• Star27buck
        Low Range
        • Jul 2007

Try Hemmings Motor News as well.

Comment

• jackxter
          Low Range
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by lumpydog
          I'd agree with contractor. They're a different animal in a lot of ways and parts may be an issue as well - although, there is a lot of overlap.

There are usually plenty of good Land Rovers for sale in your area - keep on Craig's list (and search your surrounding areas on Craig's list. as mentioned, eBay is a poor place to buy (mostly flippers - sellers that care about their truck sell elsewhere) - try other online classic car sites that specialize in selling classic cars. This is the time of year to be looking! Hold out for the right one - you only get to buy once.
          OK, so if you had a choice between a LR that needs a lot of work and a Santana that is fully restored...both same year and both very close in price, what would you choose? (I would appreciate responses from all)

Comment

• stomper
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2007

I haven't been in the buying market for a while, and I know values have jumped, but "under 20k" is a lot to be asking for any series land rover. Even a restored one, I would have some reservations.... Best make sure it is an honest example, and I would expect it to not be a Santana for that kind of coin.
            Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• lumpydog
              3rd Gear
              • May 2014

Originally posted by jackxter
              OK, so if you had a choice between a LR that needs a lot of work and a Santana that is fully restored...both same year and both very close in price, what would you choose? (I would appreciate responses from all)
              It depends on what's going to make you happy and living with a decision you won't regret. Only you can know/answer that.

Santana: Would you be totally satisfied with it for what it is and enjoy driving it? - OR - would you feel like you have to explain/qualify "it's a Santana" all the time? - OR - would you always think in the back of your mind it's a Santana and wish it was a traditional Land Rover?

Land Rover: Do you have the Skills? Patience? to restore it? What will it cost? Can you afford that and the necessary time? Or, would it be parked all the time because you can't keep it running, or are out of money?

Personally, I'd get the Land Rover 10 out of 10 times. Having the satisfaction of maintaining/restoring the truck yourself is part of the experience in my opinion. I get almost as much enjoyment working on the truck as I do driving it.

Look at it this way - you buy the right truck, it's yours for a lifetime to enjoy. You buy the wrong one and it will be a short affair and a disappointment. Take your time.

For the money you're talking about - this truck is now on Craig's list for $19K OBO. Gotta be better than the ones you're looking at.
              1968 Series IIa

Comment

• cnfowler
                1st Gear
                • Mar 2015

It depends on what's going to make you happy and living with a decision you won't regret. Only you can know/answer that.

Santana: Would you be totally satisfied with it for what it is and enjoy driving it? - OR - would you feel like you have to explain/qualify "it's a Santana" all the time? - OR - would you always think in the back of your mind it's a Santana and wish it was a traditional Land Rover?

Land Rover: Do you have the Skills? Patience? to restore it? What will it cost? Can you afford that and the necessary time? Or, would it be parked all the time because you can't keep it running, or are out of money?

Personally, I'd get the Land Rover 10 out of 10 times. Having the satisfaction of maintaining/restoring the truck yourself is part of the experience in my opinion. I get almost as much enjoyment working on the truck as I do driving it.

Look at it this way - you buy the right truck, it's yours for a lifetime to enjoy. You buy the wrong one and it will be a short affair and a disappointment. Take your time.

For the money you're talking about - this truck is now on Craig's list for $19K OBO. Gotta be better than the ones you're looking at.
                The Series III linked is a beautiful example. The dash is cracked, but the rest looks amazing.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Santana make improvements over Land Rover's parts? Galvanized chassis, synchronized transmissions, better motors, etc?

To the OP, I haven't been in the Series game long enough to be qualified to give proper advise, however, I've bought a lot of vehicles over the years. You need to decide what you're wanting out of the vehicle. Investment vehicle? A vehicle that you'll keep for a few years and sell on? A vehicle you'll have 'forever'? Do you care what other people think about the vehicle (I personally wouldn't care because it is still a Land Rover)?

Colin

Comment

• 80sailor
                  Low Range
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by jackxter
                  If the LR needs a lot of work it better be WAY under $20k. I've purchased two Series 3 88's in the past two years. Sold one of them. Point being I've been in the market recently. A runner than needs work should be in the $5-10k range. Up from there you should be getting good mechanicals, little rust and mostly cosmetic issues or the onesy-twosy issues. Get up towards $20k and you're going to have a very well sorted LR with little to no issues (for a Landy).

If it's a LR you want, I think you won't be satisfied with the Santana asterisk attached.

Btw, that red one that was linked above looks very nice and for decent money.

Just my .02

Comment

• slowmo
                    2nd Gear
                    • Dec 2014

Agreed on the starting cost. I bought mine for $5700. I likely have spent another $3000 and lots of time (which I enjoy so that is free). That said Homer is a daily driver and not nearly as spiffy as the one Lumpy linked from Craig's. Of course last weekend I had to pull the head because of a blown valve...so it's a gift that keeps on giving (or taking depending on how you look at it).

I also think it is a huge mistake to believe that if you bought a perfectly restored one that it will be like new and require nothing. These are old trucks based on an even older technology...they will break...often.
                    --David

1959 TR3
                    1970 Series IIa 88" ("Homer")

My hovercraft is full of eels.

Comment

• lumpydog
                      3rd Gear
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by slowmo
                      These are old trucks based on an even older technology...they will break...often.
                      Yep. No matter what you pay. Own and maintain - love it, embrace it.
                      1968 Series IIa

Comment

• jackxter
                        Low Range
                        • Apr 2016

Yes, I have been speaking to the seller of this one...it's a strong contender for me.
                        When I was younger, I never (or rarely) allowed anyone to work on my vehicles. As newer cars became more complicated (electronics, computers, injection), I have been leasing and getting a new one every 3 years.
                        This is one of the reasons that I'd like to get back to a basics vehicle that I can work on from time to time. Don't get me wrong, I would rather be driving this thing to the beach than wrenching.
                        I don't care much about the Santana explanation - up until a short while ago when I joined this wonderful site, I would have never known the difference myself. I think the story may be fun to tell.
                        My biggest concern is not being able to get parts or find someone that knows what they are doing in the event I can't fix it. I haven't looked into it that deep yet.
                        http://youtu.be/pPWN7m-c11Q
                        This is the Santana...take a peek. It's very far away from me, so it's not likely going to happen without a lot of effort.

Comment

• 80sailor
                          Low Range
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by slowmo
                          I also think it is a huge mistake to believe that if you bought a perfectly restored one that it will be like new and require nothing. These are old trucks based on an even older technology...they will break...often.
                          This.

My current LR had a frame off resto done by Land Rover Center in the UK roughly 7 or 8 years ago. To look at it, you'd think it was perfect (ish). Seriously, it's on of the best sorted LR's I've come across. That said, there's always something to fix/do/replace. But I love it for those reasons.
                          I didn't want to go through a resto or drive a project. But I DID want something that could give me some quality "tinker" time.

I tell friends it's like a boat that way. You can always find something that needs doing.

Comment

• jackxter
                            Low Range
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by 80sailor
                            This.

My current LR had a frame off resto done by Land Rover Center in the UK roughly 7 or 8 years ago. To look at it, you'd think it was perfect (ish). Seriously, it's on of the best sorted LR's I've come across. That said, there's always something to fix/do/replace. But I love it for those reasons.
                            I didn't want to go through a resto or drive a project. But I DID want something that could give me some quality "tinker" time.

I tell friends it's like a boat that way. You can always find something that needs doing.
                            I completely understand. For the last 30 yrs I have lived in apartments and have leased cars that never required me to do any work. I just purchased a summer property that requires hands on work so it's only natural that I get a second car that requires work

Comment

• cnfowler
                              1st Gear
                              • Mar 2015

I've seen that video somewhere before. I remember the driving part at the end. Damn good looking Rover. It appears to be in great shape, and it's not a Series III, which is awesome. The metal dashes are the ones to have. I have to say, if that's your first Land Rover, you could be doing much, much worse. Great color, too.

Colin

Comment

Working...