X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

dang bugeye

I have been working out the bugs on my bugeye after a multi year refurb. I had it running good until about a week ago. Then it started pulsing, very hard to feather the accelerator from idle to go, surging, poor starting after warm and surging. Thinking carb problem I started looking into it and noticed that the spring on the control levers had loosened up making for a bit of lost motion in the linkages. Corrected that and it was running very good, smooth acceleration / idle for a few days. Then yesterday iit started stalling at idle.
    Otherwise running/starting fine. DANG!
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT
  • Opabob
    Low Range
    • Feb 2012

I'm sure others will have better advice, but some things I had to fix re. stalling at idle: fix vacuum leak in brake booster, replace coil that failed to spark when engine was warm, switch to electric fuel pump (probably not necessary but figured it couldn't hurt).

Comment

• siii8873
      Overdrive
      • Jul 2007

It was the brake booster. I just hooked up the booster a few days ago. In hindsight I was thinking that the booster did not make much difference in braking after hooking it up, but the problem took a few days to start happening. Plugged the manifold port and now running fine again. We will have to see what's next ha ha.
      Sad part is that this is a new booster.
      THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
      THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
      THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
      THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
      THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
      THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• lumpydog
        3rd Gear
        • May 2014

Originally posted by siii8873
        It was the brake booster. I just hooked up the booster a few days ago. In hindsight I was thinking that the booster did not make much difference in braking after hooking it up, but the problem took a few days to start happening. Plugged the manifold port and now running fine again. We will have to see what's next ha ha.
        Sad part is that this is a new booster.
        Little carb cleaner sprayed around suspected leaking areas will expose vacuum leaks...
        1968 Series IIa
        1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Comment

• cedryck
          5th Gear
          • Sep 2010

Small leaks around the intake, and where the carb meets the manifold can create re-occurring symptoms of stall and poor performance.

Comment

Working...