X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dwmcompton
    Low Range
    • Feb 2016

Series III gas mileage?

Hi everyone. With gas prices these days, anyone have any tips on ways to improve gas mileage on a '73 Series III (besides not driving it!)? Thanks!
  • charles1943
    1st Gear
    • Jan 2021

What is your carburetor? Distributor? Knowing that wil help us help U. Thanks

Comment

• jimrr
      4th Gear
      • Dec 2010

I've been running a wore out rottenchester for years and recently put a new weber on (compliments of our host) and I'm here to say i'd bet I'm buring nearly HALF the fuel I use to without much difference in performance, but then, my series 3 has about 3/4 million miles on it with one amateur rebuild when it had less than 30K on it .. ........ pretty messed up huh? .......... i haven't measured the mileage but i can drive it to town (15 miles RT) and all around the ranch for maybe 2 weeks with no prob.

Comment

• jimrr
        4th Gear
        • Dec 2010

standard distributor, points, original stuff. go to town maybe 2-3 x per week.

Comment

• roverp480
          3rd Gear
          • Jul 2020

With a new S3 here in the UK , the best fuel consumption was about 20 mpg (US) general 15 mpg and the worst 2 mpg (off roading) . That was with totally standard vehicle and setting .

Comment

• cedryck
            5th Gear
            • Sep 2010

You can use Physics to your advantage, run Tall road tires, and increase the PSI about 5-8 PSI, helps a bit.

Comment

• jimrr
              4th Gear
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cedryck
              You can use Physics to your advantage, run Tall road tires, and increase the PSI about 5-8 PSI, helps a bit.
              right, I put 16" tires on. made a big difference but I run them at 29 or 30 psi. or it rides like a buck board!

Comment

• charles1943
                1st Gear
                • Jan 2021

1 possibility is that your engine is very tired after 200k+ miles. Have u checked your compressions recently? Some old rover engines actually run pretty well when they're half dead.

Comment

• biffidum
                  Low Range
                  • Nov 2021

My engine is tired (90-110psi per cylinder) and I get about 175km/tank (single regular tank). Pretty bad, but it starts every time and still pulls like a horse. I have an aftermarket Zenith and electronic ignition. I am running on the rich side to keep it cool in the summer months.
                  Last edited by biffidum; 07-02-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...