X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hokierover
    Low Range
    • Apr 2024

1971 Series IIA Restoration

Hello all, years ago I had a 66 IIA. I sold it to go to college. I regret selling that truck. This past weekend I bought a 1971 IIA. It needs lots of work. It's frame is shot and motor isn't running. The seller told me it ran when parked 4 years ago. We'll see about that. Anyway it's home now and in my shop. I pulled the plugs and felt for compression with my thumb. 3 cylinders had some sort of compression one had almost none at all. The good news is the body is straight and bulkhead seems to be mostly fine.

Here we go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5147.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	175066

Malcolm
  • charles1943
    1st Gear
    • Jan 2021

nice warn m11 hubs there!!! 15" rims....Defender side lamps though aargh!!

GOOD LUCK WITH RECOMISSIONING IT!!

THAT LOW CYLINDER COMPRESSION....SOME MARVEL MYSTERY OIL MIGHT HELP BREAK THE RINGS FREE. IF IT'S NOT A STUCK VALVE

Comment

• swatsullivan
      Low Range
      • May 2024

I bought a 1971 IIA as well from West Virginia, but it turned out to be too far gone to save, sadly. Had an Isuzu engine and frame. I sold that and moved on to a 1960 II with a badly rusted frame. How is the restoration going? I've got a son who just finished his freshman year at VT. Go Hokies!!

Comment

• jimrr
        4th Gear
        • Dec 2010

it looks great, there are a great many rovers brought back from far far worse condition than yours.
        and they do restore well!

Comment

Working...