X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Firemanshort
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2006

Steal a Land Rover?

I have owned two Series Land Rover since 2000. I have never locked a door. I live in suburbia - Northen Virginia. I have mostly run a soft top.

All of the above comments stand - street thugs do not generally seek out smelly, 25 year old British trucks with bad paint and puddles of oil under them.

(Sod's Law - someone will probably steal it tonight)
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

Comment

• I Leak Oil
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

I don't personally know of any trucks that have been stolen but I do know of one that was broken into and some items stolen. There's nothing wrong with installing an alarm if you really think you need it, even if it's just to make a lot of noise if broken in to. Don't expect to be able to make any vehicle theft proof. If a pro thief wants it or the contents they will have it.
      Jason T.
      Jason
      "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• ChrisB
        Low Range
        • Dec 2007

I saw this post a while ago and had a theft/security issue "almost" come up tonight (not really). Gregor's reply made my LOL.

Getting in late this morning to work and in a rush, I apparently left my keys in the ignition of my IIA while parked in the parking deck all day. Of course, I did not discover this until I was leaving tonight.

I don't lock my LR usually, and I guess the warning signal telling me my keys were in the ignition failed to go off this morning . I went out to the parking deck tonight only to discover my keys in the ignition, the radio ("hi-fi system") still in the ashtray, and a growing oil stain underneath, all still there.

Had it been me viewing an errant Series owner's mistake, I might have been tempted to go for a joyride. However, I guess my co-workers were scared off by one of the four knobs in the front seat, gigantic steering wheel, or they just slipped on the oil slick in the process of trying to get into my ride.

Comment

• gudjeon
          5th Gear
          • Oct 2006

Fake vomit on the seat and fake doggie doo for the rear keeps everyone out. I knew a guy that did this and never had to lock his doors. Only works when going into unknown territory. At home someone might see this as a pattern. Maybe you won't get bothered by those nosey neighbours again
          Last edited by gudjeon; 01-15-2008, 10:00 PM.

Comment

• Tim Smith
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Hi O'Brien,
            Welcome to the forum!

My first thought is that the stuff inside the truck is what you really need to be worried about. My fix was tinting the windows in the back so now no one knows about my tools and laptop sat back there. <well other than you folks that is >

However, if I were to do some trekking outside of the modern world, then I'd get some door hasps like these.

Expensive but would be worth it if you were to do some major traveling with all your stuff in the truck!

Comment

• JimCT
              5th Gear
              • Nov 2006

mine was stolen

my '68 bug-eyed 88 was stolen from my gf's driveway in Chester, Ct, they rolled and pushed it down the road a mile or so but even wtih the keys in teh ignition never figured out how to start it! Lost some tools and odds and ends but the truck survived being pushed into a ditch.
              1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
              1963 Unimog Radio box
              1995 LWB RR

Comment

• giorgio
                Low Range
                • Jan 2007

O'Brien said,

"interesting thing about my 109... and i don't know if this is common at all, but my battery is under the drivers seat. (LHD)"

My bone stock (I think) 1968 Series IIA 109 2.6 NADA has the battery under the drivers seat. The battery tray is still in the engine compartment, but there is no battery there. Maybe there is not enough room with the 6 cylinder, dunno?

Comment

• Jeff Aronson
                  • Oct 2006

I have suffered from one known attempt to steal one of my Series II-A's. The robbers attempted to hot wire the car by tearing apart the dash and fiddling with the ignition wires. They did not know about the starter button, apparently. In 18 years of ownership, that's the only attempt to steal the car or break into it and walk off with its contents.

I love the ideas presented! The Rover comes built in with some other options:

1. Shift the transfer case lever into neutral when you leave the car. And do the same with your overdrive - the car's not going anywhere unless the thief knows of both levers.

2. Buy a battery cutoff terminal - unscrewing it the tiiniest amount means no battery, no start. Or just remove one wire at the terminal when you're gone.

3. Unplug the wire from the coil to the distributor cap and just leave it loose. The car won't start. If you can do the same at the ground wire from the distributor to the coil, it will crank but not start.

4. I've seen a chain run from the clutch pedal through the steering wheel. Until you release it, you can't push down on the clutch or turn the wheel. It has the added advantage of being visible from the outside of the car.

Have fun with your 109".

Jeff
                  Jeff Aronson
                  Vinalhaven, ME 04863
                  '66 Series II-A SW 88"
                  '66 Series II-A HT 88"
                  '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
                  '80 Triumph Spitfire
                  '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
                  http://www.landroverwriter.com

Comment

• jp-
                    5th Gear
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Jeff Aronson
                    I have suffered from one known attempt to steal one of my Series II-A's.

Jeff
                    Yeah, but you're famous. Who wouldn't want to say they had taken the QE II for a spin?
                    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• Jeff Aronson
                      • Oct 2006

LOL ! The real reason was stated once by Jim Pappas. Watching me wash the Rover at a British Invasion one year, Pappas looked at my Rover and said "you're the only person I know who details his truck by filling a garbage bag!"

Jeff
                      Jeff Aronson
                      Vinalhaven, ME 04863
                      '66 Series II-A SW 88"
                      '66 Series II-A HT 88"
                      '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
                      '80 Triumph Spitfire
                      '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
                      http://www.landroverwriter.com

Comment

Working...