X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thixon
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2007

Gregor,

Its a '01, and its and auto. So, I'm always worried about the torque converter seal going, but no worries yet! Like you, I was and am worried about the idler pulley, and the hydraulic tensioner on the kit. I did the tbelt at 100K, and I'm at 107K now. If I make it to 150K, with no issues, then I'll consider the car to have done its duty. Any additional mileage will be gravy. At 150k I plan to do the belt again, and then drive it until I'm sick of it. Its a nice car, and has been relativly reliable for me.

By the way, if you ever need CV's, go to www.raxles.com. Way cheaper than OEM, better quality, and the guy is great to deal with.

As for you're IIA, I've been in the same boat before. The SIII I sold was rock solid. I drove it everywhere for 7 years with no breakdowns after I ran through it and fixed/replaced all the problem areas. I hope to get my IIA there soon! Wish me luck!

Travis
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Comment

• friar mike
      1st Gear
      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by thixon
      30k for the resto, plus the cost of the car. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I had about 50k in it overall.

Travis
      My bad didn't have my glass's on
      Onward threw the fog

Comment

• greenmeanie
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

Thixon,
        I too have an 01 but mine is a 6 spd manual. I put the 710N diverters on and put H-bars underneath to correct some of its handling issues but other than that have left it alone. It's really a bit of luxury as my wife's car to counter my ideas of minamilist transport.

The axles - yup been there done that. Marty was a cool bloke. He has some experience with British cars so we spent some time talking old Land Rovers. He was fascinated by my 101.

I've just replaced the front air suspension bags using Carson at Riverside Audi for some good prices. Again its quite straight forward wrenching. It's the computers I fear but I have the fancy doohickie that allows my laptop to scan for codes.

I do feel that it demandds some of the same qualities in an owner as the old series Landies. They are great machines but you have to be a bit of a fanatic to put up with their quirks and are either a good mechanic or a rich man to afford running one.

My SIIA has become reliable after much tinkering over the years. My wife claims that it should be called a '2000 IIA after all the parts that have been replaced. She knows to never question my 101 but she is now trying to get me to forsake my old IIA for my brother's '83 110 V8 SW. I am just not sure I can put up with a modern vehicle as my daily driver

Cheers
        Gregor

Comment

• Donnie
          2nd Gear
          • Apr 2007

Easy maybe, until you come to the bleeding part. I'd like to speak to the chap who thought that the bleeder should be on the bottom of a dual wheel cyl system....
          Maybe he cast a distant view into the future & forcast the design of the Phoenix Bleeder..............cost about $300 bux American from you Snap-off dealer...........Stand it on it's head, Donnie
          I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Comment

• Donnie
            2nd Gear
            • Apr 2007

I removed the "remote servo" I think that is what we refer to as a hydro-vac. If it is the assengineered dream that is mounted on the rite front frame and is called on to help with pedal resistance, You may have to apply a bit more foot pressure to stop, but these have large dia. drums, 2 cyls, & wide shoes on each wheel, & unless you are *5 pounds soaking wet, U should have no problem stopping..
            I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Comment

Working...