• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tenerific
    Low Range
    • Jul 2020

Died on the road and now she won't start

Hi everyone,

New to the forums, new to the Series IIa world. Have a fully restored 1968 Series that just arrived a few days ago.

Got delivered from the UK, got a license plate, realized there was near zero gas in the tank, filled it up with gas (87 with ethanol content), drove <10 miles, strangely felt almost as if a 'burp' passed through the exhaust (possibly unrelated), kept driving for another few miles, started to lose gas, died to roll on the side of the road, thankfully only 300 ft from home, and now won't start. Turns over strongly but feels like it never ignites, and that there's probably something off with the gas/air mixture. Or something.

I have a feeling that sorting this one won't be too hard -- every part on this thing is practically brand new after all -- but I'd appreciate any insight into the sequence of events and what threads to follow to sort this one out. Worth noting that I don't have a ton of experience but am looking forward to getting some, ha.

• roverp480
    3rd Gear
    • Jul 2020

Welcome to the forum.
    I guess you need to determine whether its an electrical or fuel related problem . Did the engine splutter when it started to die or just fade away?
    This is the fault finding page out of a S2A Drivers handbook
    Attached Files

Comment

• jimrr
      4th Gear
      • Dec 2010

my s3 88 will only fire when the accelerator pedal is coming up off the floor!! ........... figure that one out !!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• HucklebuckRover
        Low Range
        • Aug 2014

Dumb question, but it's def a petrol engine right?

Some basic things to check -

Fuel pump operation - (if original)

You can disconnected fuel inlet at the carb that comes from the fuel pump and turn the engine over while the end of the hose is in a clear bottle and see if it's pushing fuel. There is also a hand prime lever on the pump that you can try - this is a series 3 - but same principal - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq61ARW6rnE

Loose distributor - with your burb comment, it sounds like it may be out of time. You could check the distributor for any looseness. While you're at it check your plug wire connections and connections at the ignition coil.

Checking for spark - you can remove a spark plug and plug it back in and rest it with the end resting on the block - crank your engine and see if you have spark.

Really those two basic things - fuel and spark if it won't start at all are where you need to start.

Guessing by now it's been sorted.

Congrats on the Series 2a -

Comment

Working...