X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grimmecm
    Low Range
    • Apr 2023

Crankshaft Machining

Working on rebuilding a 2.25 3 bearing petrol. First rebuild I've ever done so any input is appreciated.

After tear down, it appears that the con-rod journal for piston 3 is worn out of spec. The bearing set that was in the con-rods and the main bearings indicate .010. Which I'm reading as bearings .010 oversized, making the journals .010 undersized. Going to take it to get machined and wondering if the best answer is to just machine everything to .020 undersized and move to the corresponding bearing set.

Appreciate any input/thoughts. Thanks.
    Current: 1965 Series 2a Santana SWB.

Past: 2006 SE V8.
    2.5" lift Johnson Rods, 295/70/18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers, ATX AX201 18x9 wheels, Front Runner Slim Line II rack, Front Runner ladder, Additional fiddling through Gap Diagnostic IID Tool
  • roverp480
    3rd Gear
    • Jul 2020

If the crank is still within the tolerance for 0.010" undersize , is undamaged and straight , I would think just a polish/lapping of the journals would be sufficient without regrinding to 0.020" undersize .

Comment

• jimrr
      4th Gear
      • Dec 2010

consult the book for std. size. in the machining industry std. may not be increments of .010" , for instance, it may go .010, then to .030.
      did you check concentricity? and hopefully you are using a micrometer and not a pair of brand x calipers?

Comment

Working...