Need help with Series III Idling/Running. Please!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chippyskipper
    Low Range
    • Aug 2024

Need help with Series III Idling/Running. Please!

1973 Series III 2.25 with Weber carb. Idle jet clear. It won’t run unless adjust the idle linkage screw in, a lot. It’ll start but the carb doesn’t respond at to any adjustment of the mixture screw.. But, I pulled the vacuum line off of the brake booster, ballpark-adjusted the carb and it started right up and responded to carb adjustments. Put the line back on and it stopped. I’ve tried taking the breather cap off, with the vacuum line off, put the line back on and it stops. Same with the air intake line from the oil bath filter. I’ve sprayed carb cleaner all over the intake manifold and base of carb and detected no leaks. What am I missing?
    Thanks Ken
  • erik88lr
    1st Gear
    • May 2016

If I'm reading what you wrote correctly the engine runs fine when the hose to the brake booster is pulled and plugged? Have you tested to see if the booster will hold vacuum?

Comment

• Chippyskipper
      Low Range
      • Aug 2024

No, it won’t run with the hose off and plugged. Well, it will if I crank the idle linkage screw down pretty much all the way. But then the mixture screw does nothing.

Comment

• roverp480
        3rd Gear
        • Jul 2020

So are you basically saying ,if you introduce a large air leak into the inlet manifold it runs much better?

Comment

• erik88lr
          1st Gear
          • May 2016

Originally posted by roverp480
          So are you basically saying ,if you introduce a large air leak into the inlet manifold it runs much better?
          If that is indeed the case it must be running way too rich, as if perhaps the carb float has sunk or fuel is pouring in for some other reason.

Comment

• jimrr
            4th Gear
            • Dec 2010

are the air flaps in the carb operating? i've seen them on various engines get sucked shut because they have broken linkages, springs etc.

Comment

Working...