Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eric W S
    5th Gear
    • Dec 2006

Get a vacuum gauge and learn how to use it. You'll be able to exactly diagnose the problem and then be able to time the engine to it as well.

EwS

Comment

• thixon
      5th Gear
      • Jul 2007

Eric just gave you some great advice. The vac gauge will be very helpful, but it sounds like you need to bone up on basic operation of an engine first. Go to the bookstore, or do some web research. Learning the basics will help you diagnose issues in the future.

The only thing I'll add to the timing thing is to take a wrench along while test driving. Stop, make and adjustment and drive again. Keep going till you adjust the pinging out of the equation. Sounds silly, but with an old vehicle with worn components its a good way to get things close.

Also, the sparkplug thing is alarming. If you're a novice mechanic, it may be difficult to resist the urge to over-torque. If you strip out the spark plug port it will stink, so be careful. Buying a torque wrench per Terri Ann is porbably a good idea.
      Travis
      '66 IIa 88

Comment

• macgyver97701
        Low Range
        • Jan 2009

check the mounts on your alternator my bottom mount was cracked and it sound like a desiel engine

Comment

• StX_Rovers
          Low Range
          • Sep 2008

I am with the too much initial timing camp. Your symptoms sound exactly like what will happen with too much initial timing.

The bring wrench along advice is good. It is a 7/16" wrench, if the clamp is original.

Then get a Pertronix but the cost of the Pertronix will be better spent getting a copy of the factory workshop manual first, in additiont oe the owners manual you already have.

If you blew a spark plug out the threads are either stripped, plug not torqued or your timing was way advanced.

Comment

Working...