X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yank
    1st Gear
    • Nov 2007

floor jack

If you did not want to spend your money at sears where would you buy a 3 ton floor jack?
    72 SIII
  • O'Brien
    1st Gear
    • Oct 2007

harbor freight. end of story

here is the 3 ton i've got

Matt
    '66 88 GM powered
    '89 SWB RRC (sold)
    '67 109 NADA 6cyl. Station Wagon #2 (sold)

Comment

• Alacrity
      Low Range
      • Dec 2006

Ive had an older Hein Warner thats served me well for over 20 years of moderate use. The older stuff is better, no doubt, but good luck finding it.

NAPA and local equipment companies should be able to get you something decent for under $200. If you dont use it much Harbor would probably work for a while.

Ive had good luck with an Aluminum Craftsman jack (the one that goes on sale for $150 from time to time). Bought it ONLY becuase it was light - it goes to the track with me. Seen lots of bitchin about these - leaks - but Ive not had trouble over 3 years. Proobably just jinxed myself

Some good info here:

The primary focus of our WebSite is HYDRAULIC JACKS and related equipment - The different types, uses and capacities, along with their general history, manufacturers and tips on buying and care of.

Comment

• TSR53
        5th Gear
        • Mar 2006

Yes, I agree it's hard to beat the Harbor Freight jack. FWIW, I have one very similar to this (JD hydraulics, made in Japan, 2 1/4 ton) that I've used for the last 35+ years. It has lifted more of my old Porsche's, Volkswagen's, Audi's, Land Rovers and all other vehicles than I can list on dirt driveways to it's final glorified retirement location, my concrete garage floor. Heck I've even lifted and extracted a boat from a friends yard in mud season! Never, ever needed maintenance. Oh, removable handle comes in real handy when needing a super torque wrench too. I think we paid like $129.00 back in 1978 for it from a local auto parts shop on Winchester Blvd. in Los Gatos, CA. It still works prefectly to this day.

Just a thought, you could support your own town, city, economy, etc and buy one similar to this from your local car parts store.
        Cheers, Thompson
        Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
        Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• 4flattires
          4th Gear
          • Aug 2007

I have 3....

..floor jacks.

But really just use my 25 y/o 1 1/4 ton Hein Warner O'Boy purchased new. Not far from your purchase Thompson. Just off Stevens Creek Blvd. The Hein Warner has been rebuilt (just seals) once in that time and always performs flawlessly despite a lot of its life on dirt. Its fast, solid, and lifts the highest. The Shinn Fu version (with quick pump lift) works good, no worries. The cheapo no-name brand with a 2.5 ton sticker that was stuck over with a 3.0 ton stick has already been resealed once by me in 5 years.

If your on a budget, you can't beat the Harbor Freight deal.

Jeff
          64 SIIa 109 all stock
          69 SIIa 88 all stock
          Old tractors
          New Harleys
          Old trucks

Comment

• TSR53
            5th Gear
            • Mar 2006

Striking a pose

And to keep this thread going with photos actually in use, here's my 30+ year old jack earning his keep. Used in this instance for a photo shoot (what else with me right?) when fitting a fiberglass turbo front end to my 1985 Porsche 944 (photos are worth 1,000 words right?).

I'm sure you'll guys will come up with better used proper photos, hopefully all under safe conditions.

...and another photo, this time fitting my Porsche wheels to my Westfalia. Darn this doesn't fit under my garage door! Grrrr silly roof racks.
            Cheers, Thompson
            Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

I don't know why you don't want to spend your money at sears but I've had my sears 2 1/2 ton floor jack since I was 16 with my first car, it's now 20 years old! It's been through 10 different vehicles, been stored out side and not a hint of a wimper from it. I guess I should think about changing the fluid sometime...
              Jason T.
              Jason
              "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• yank
                1st Gear
                • Nov 2007

TSR53, Nice fleet! I just sold my 914 last year.
                72 SIII

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Yank,
                  How ironic, my first car and the reason I bought my sears jack, was a 914! '75 1.8L, silver, black interior. I worked like a dog to fix that thing up.....then the rust got to the rockers and it collapsed in the middle
                  Fun car though, wish I could find a solid one around here.
                  Jason T.
                  Jason
                  "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• LaneRover
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

Keep your eye out on Craig's list and even at garage sales if you don't need it immediately.

Brent
                    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• TSR53
                      5th Gear
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by LaneRover
                      Keep your eye out on Craig's list and even at garage sales if you don't need it immediately.

Brent
                      That's an even better idea! Recycle, reuse!
                      Cheers, Thompson
                      Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• yank
                        1st Gear
                        • Nov 2007

Mine was a 75 1.8, One owner California car. I had it for about 10 years but when we found out about kid #3 I decided to give it up.
                        Since I was a kid I wanted A 914 and a Rover. The rover seats seven so it should get more use.

About half my tools are from sears. But a couple years ago I gave up sears. Brain dead sales people and zero customer service. I will try craigs list for the jack.
                        72 SIII

Comment

• NC Rover
                          2nd Gear
                          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by O'Brien
                          harbor freight. end of story

here is the 3 ton i've got

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34271
                          I got mine from Harbor Freight too.....it was on sale for $49 at the time.
                          1971 Series IIa Hybrid: 2.5L MILSPEC 5-Main Bearing Engine|Turner Engineering Performance Head w/ oversized hardened steel valves & phase shift/increased lift cam|LT77 Tranny/LT230 Transfer Case|11mm Ignition Wires/Super Coil|Jacobs Ignition/Petronix Ignitor|D90 Axles|Galvy Frame|Old Man Emu Coils|Cust Rear/Side Fuel Tanks|Cust Drive Shafts|

Comment

Working...