X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Rossmann
    Low Range
    • Dec 2007

Hard top vs. Pickup cab

I've been contemplating getting rid of my hard top and getting a pickup cab (especially if I can trade one for the other). I would still go with a soft top for the warmer months. The hard top is just too large and cumbersome to take off and store. I was thinking the pickup top would be much easier (?).

I figured someone on this forum could give me some sage advice as to the pros and cons of making such a switch.

I have never actually seen a pickup cab, other than in pictures. Do they have a headliner, dome light etc, or pretty much bare metal on the inside? Would one expect that the hard top would be worth more than a pickup top in the same condition, or does the relative scarcity of the pickup tops negate that?

Thanks in advance for advice.
  • Bostonian1976
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

this thread will help you...

just purchased a truck cab that I'll be picking up next month - I'm excited. It's great having such a modular vehicle. How many of you have cabs and u
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Comment

• Paul Rossmann
      Low Range
      • Dec 2007

Thanks. Never thought that the highback seats might not fit. Does anyone know if that is the case?

Comment

• LaneRover
        Overdrive
        • Oct 2006

I would say that the relative scarcity of P-Up tops negates the potential difference in 'worth'.

I like my P-up top. Mine has no headliner, no dome light and it is definitely not an 'extra-cab' size top. But you can slide open the window behind you and with just a few bolts you can be topless easily with no one else's help.

Mine is on a 109 and I go from topless to p-up to canvas

The heater does work a bit better in a more enclosed space.

Brent
        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• thixon
          5th Gear
          • Jul 2007

Can't stand 'em. I don't like the enclosed feeling, plus I think they look goofy.
          Travis
          '66 IIa 88

Comment

• galen216
            2nd Gear
            • Nov 2006

I loved mine, easier to handle, heats a smaller space and IMO looks cool.
            74 SIII
            96 Disco SE-7 5 Spd.

Comment

• chester rides again
              1st Gear
              • Aug 2007

I put exmoor high backer seats in last fall and the p/u top pushes them forward - damaged the top of the seat where it rubbed next to the rear p/u top window. I'm 6'2" and the adjustment in seatback angle is noticeable.

The p/u top is able to be placed and removed with one person. Mine has a carpet-like liner on the top. It's much quieter (if that's possible) than the full hard top. It's warmer, looks a little goofy, but it does give the ability to let me have a true pick-up.

I also have the hard top and it does take two people to put on and off, but my friends never seem to mind as I provided beer. It gets easier every time we do it. I have a 109 regular and I'm planning on placing rear seat in the back bed for the kids, so I'm hanging onto this top. I also like the fact that mine is from Australia (yellow) and has the rear to match up with my tailgate.

I'm waiting on Wise Owl to finalize their softtop setup and I'm going to get one of those sets for the summer.

All in all, it's nice to have the flexibility of the different tops - keeps the truck more like a tinker toy!
              '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
              '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
              '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Comment

• EASTTNROVER
                Low Range
                • Oct 2007

P/U TOP

Good luck on trading your hardtop straight up... George M up in New Hampshire wanted $750 for the p/u top, seemed to be a pretty good price to everyone, just too much for me. I just went with a fume curtain instead, a great investment for the winter. It kept the heat in great, for canvas. Good Luck!
                MA1(SW)...AKA REAL NAVY.
                88" 1968' IIA -

Comment

• Tim Smith
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Fugly can be beautiful too.

The pickup top is kind of goofy looking but I like the look.

You know, you can save lots of storage space if you knock the sides off your full hard top when you store it. Then (if you have a garage) you can make a simple 2x4 bracket in your ceiling to slide the top up there. I've seen the bracket idea used for ladders and it makes good sense. Just a thought.

My 109 had a P/U top for ages and it was nice. It's funny though, the grass always seems greener on the other side and I grabbed a full hard top for that truck. Since I don't have the rear door, I'm not so sure I'm going to like it as much. Never been a big fan of the clamshell. It will really come into it's own for camping in the truck though.

They can be lined and insulated or they can be left bare depending on what the previous owner has done. You should find that the heater will work real well and that the sound levels will be a bit lower. Space is limited and like has already been said, you might run into clearance issues with high back seats.

If you make the switch, be sure to grab some shots for us to ogle over.

Cheers!

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                    5th Gear
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by EASTTNROVER
                    Good luck on trading your hardtop straight up... George M up in New Hampshire wanted $750 for the p/u top, seemed to be a pretty good price to everyone, just too much for me. I just went with a fume curtain instead, a great investment for the winter. It kept the heat in great, for canvas. Good Luck!
                    I bought that top! still have yet to put it on though....got to find someone to help me get my old one off since the sides seem to be sealed to the top and I can't separate them
                    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Comment

• Paul Rossmann
                      Low Range
                      • Dec 2007

So what I'm hearing is that the Exmore tall seats reallk dont fit—or at least pushed forward— within the pickup top? Is that the general concensus, or does somone have another experience?

One more question, does the pickup top have the anchors for the "shoulder" seat belts like the hard top?

Comment

• LaneRover
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Paul Rossmann
                        So what I'm hearing is that the Exmore tall seats reallk dont fit—or at least pushed forward— within the pickup top? Is that the general concensus, or does somone have another experience?

One more question, does the pickup top have the anchors for the "shoulder" seat belts like the hard top?
                        Mine does not have seatbelt anchors. I was able to bolt my seatbelts into the bulkhead. I am sure that something could be fabricated and the seatbelt anchors that RN sells for hardtops may fit in a P-up top but I don't know that they do.

Brent
                        1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                        1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                        1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                        1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• EASTTNROVER
                          Low Range
                          • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Bostonian1976
                          I bought that top! still have yet to put it on though....got to find someone to help me get my old one off since the sides seem to be sealed to the top and I can't separate them
                          Well, I guess you should sell it to me. I offered him 700, and no dice.
                          MA1(SW)...AKA REAL NAVY.
                          88" 1968' IIA -

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                            5th Gear
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by EASTTNROVER
                            Well, I guess you should sell it to me. I offered him 700, and no dice.
                            I might throw it on this Monday, my birthday.

I need to pull apart a tailgate and hatch door that I have that had been rivited together to create a 'barn door' from someone a long time ago. I just want the tailgate for use w/ the pickup top...we'll see how that project works out...

Comment

• chester rides again
                              1st Gear
                              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Paul Rossmann

Exmore seats DON'T fit PROPERLY... The are pushed forward by the back of the p/u and are no longer supported by the seat brackets lower down.

My p/u top did not come with a anchor point for the 3 point seatbelt that I had installed on the full hard top, BUT our hosts sell a plate that is easily attachable. You have to remove the two top bolts and drill out two riviets, then put in two slightly longer bolts up top and drill two new holes/attach two more bolts and your done. About 30 minutes a side.

Now I have to figure out what to do when I put on the full soft top for the upper anchor point. I'll probably have to look at a roll cage setup and anchor the top somewhere on the roll cage.
                              '68 109 3 door with multiple personalities
                              '03 Ford Excursion 7.3 diesel
                              '07 Porsche Carrera S Cabriolet

Comment

Working...