X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thixon
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2007

Get out your checkbooks

I'm pretty sure this one will go fast....to the ebay grave yard for unbid auctions.

Nice looking truck though.

Travis
    '66 IIa 88
  • sven
    1st Gear
    • Dec 2006

The cappings and bumper arent even galvanized. That guy is nuts!
    99 D1
    73 Series III 88"
    95 RRC LWB

Comment

• xsbowes
      2nd Gear
      • Dec 2006

S3 doortops, steering on the wrongside for British import, maybe one too many zero's on the price.
      Stacy
      Motta S.A. Italy

Comment

• Eric W S
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2006

Rivets look funny as well. Nice looking truck, but I wouldn't pay for it.

Comment

• jp-
          5th Gear
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by sven
          The cappings and bumper arent even galvanized. That guy is nuts!
          ...and bolts.

Stupid. Just stupid. Maybe he could sell it to Charles Kellogg and he could turn around and sell it for $85,000.
          61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
          66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
          66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
          67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
          88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• TeriAnn
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by jp-
            .Stupid. Just stupid. Maybe he could sell it to Charles Kellogg and he could turn around and sell it for $85,000.
            Say what you may about Charles personally and his business practices but every Land Rover I have seen that his company did a complete restoration on looked every bit correct and like it came out of the LR factory assembly line earlier that day. All I have seen is first rate restoration work. Yes his full restorations are very expensive but so are parts & labour.
            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
            Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• TeriAnn
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by xsbowes
              S3 doortops, steering on the wrongside for British import, maybe one too many zero's on the price.
              Steering is correct for an ex-MoD army of the Rhine 88. And it has every appearance of being an ex-military LR built for use in Germany. The only strange thing I see is that the hand brake lever is in the RHD position.

It looks like they rebuilt it with SIII door tops, radiator, windscreen washer system & a Weber carb. Its obviously been stripped down & painted. Unfortunately it appears as though the the galvanized cappings have been painted over instead of regalvanized. The hard top side windows are common UK aftermarket, as are the floor coverings. It appears the hard top was originally windowless.

The wheels are common UK wheels. I get the feeling that this is a UK "restoration" just because the aftermarket parts used are common in the UK and not the US and the turn signal switch is in the RHD location. A North American would never put it on that side.

To me, except for the painted over cappings, it appears to be a nice looking rebuild that used new aftermarket parts where needed. Certainly not a restoration but a nice looking rebuild. If the drive train is fresh I think it could go for as high as $10K. Only a small part of the exhaust is visible & it appears new. Personally I would have started the auction at around $3K and put as reserve at $8K.

On the other hand, I just don't know what to make of that shift leaver. Something besides the boot appears odd to me.
              -

Teriann Wakeman_________
              Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• Jim-ME
                Overdrive
                • Oct 2006

The price is what the price is. It will be fun to see if it sells.
                Jim

Comment

• jp-
                  5th Gear
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                  Steering is correct for an ex-MoD army of the Rhine 88. And it has every appearance of being an ex-military LR built for use in Germany.

What makes you think that? I don't see a square rear crossmember? What distinguishing features do you see that I am missing?

Also, gauges, seats, and side steps are all wrong. Face it, the truck is a bitsa.
                  61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
                  66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
                  66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
                  67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
                  88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• daveb
                    5th Gear
                    • Nov 2006

arrangement of lights on the front wings is vertical per most MOD vehicles.

8 blade fan and double v-belt pulleys

military style bumper

evidence a tailgate was fitted

flat smiths heater common to MOD use

different ignition light switch from civvy models

spring latches for bonnet

Home-market style headlight surrounds (non MOD though)

looks like a SIII dash cluster. are BOTH charge lights connected?

lots of other inconsistencies too.

it is a bitsa and not worth anywhere near the proposed cost.

Originally posted by jp-
                    What makes you think that? I don't see a square rear crossmember? What distinguishing features do you see that I am missing?

Also, gauges, seats, and side steps are all wrong. Face it, the truck is a bitsa.
                    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• smactek
                      Low Range
                      • Jan 2007

Interesting Vehicle. Did the MOD versions Not use throttle control lever and linkage? I thought that was another item that was used due to its versatility for implements that were offered for that model of rover.
                      1970 Series IIA 88" Petrol

Comment

• Daurie
                        2nd Gear
                        • Nov 2007

Whats the deal with the bumper? I've never seen the over riders so wide and have a cut out in them? (top, toward inside each overrider) And I've never seen the hand brake on the wrong side.
                        '73 SIII 88"
                        Turner 8:1 Engine
                        NRP Exhaust
                        Roverdrive
                        RM Parabolics
                        OME Shocks
                        Warn 8274
                        Pangolin4X4 bumper

Comment

• TeriAnn
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by smactek
                          Interesting Vehicle. Did the MOD versions Not use throttle control lever and linkage? I thought that was another item that was used due to its versatility for implements that were offered for that model of rover.
                          A hand throttle is an option, not standard fittment.MoD versions were made to contract specs. The specs between a LR intended for use on an air port apron would be quite different from those of a LR intended to be uses by the commandos.
                          -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                          Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• TeriAnn
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Daurie
                            Whats the deal with the bumper? I've never seen the over riders so wide and have a cut out in them? (top, toward inside each overrider) And I've never seen the hand brake on the wrong side.
                            There are different versions of military bumper overriders and that is a version I have seen on several military LRs.

The handbrake in the RHD location on a LHD vehicle does seem a bit odd. But the rebuild appears to have been done in the UK and if the brake assembly was damaged and required replacement a RHD version would be easily available.

Rather than being a bits truck, I suspect it was rebuilt in the UK by someone more concerned with replacing bad parts with new ones and not someone concerned about maintaining concourse originality. Could be the military released the truck without door tops.

Whenever someone over prices a LR for sale you guys act like circling sharks, each going in for a quick strike. Suddenly any deviation from a 100 point concourse Land Rover is subject for disdain. sigh
                            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                            Flagstaff, AZ.

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• daveb
                              5th Gear
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                              Whenever someone over prices a LR for sale you guys act like circling sharks, each going in for a quick strike. Suddenly any deviation from a 100 point concourse Land Rover is subject for disdain. sigh
                              if you try to sell a LR for $65,000 yeah...
                              A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

Working...