X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • onecross
    Low Range
    • Feb 2007

Layshaft rear bearing race removal?

any tips on removing the layshaft rear bearing?

Thanks
    -Mat
  • gudjeon
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Howdy Mat,

This is best done with the law of hydraulics on your side. Strip the transmission completely. Turn a large hardwood dowel down to size where it is a close fit to the layshaft pocket bearing race. I warmed the trans case up over a woodstove beforehand. Lay the rear part of transmission down on a piece of wood to cushion the blow. Transmission facing up, fill the pocket bearing race with gear oil, insert wood dowel, hit dowel sharply a few times, and presto! This works remarkably well for these types of bearings.

Comment

• jp-
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Excellent advice!
      61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
      66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
      66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
      67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
      88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• daveb
        5th Gear
        • Nov 2006

i've heard of that done with grease.

Originally posted by jp-
        Excellent advice!
        A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• onecross
          Low Range
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gudjeon
          Howdy Mat,

This is best done with the law of hydraulics on your side. Strip the transmission completely. Turn a large hardwood dowel down to size where it is a close fit to the layshaft pocket bearing race. I warmed the trans case up over a woodstove beforehand. Lay the rear part of transmission down on a piece of wood to cushion the blow. Transmission facing up, fill the pocket bearing race with gear oil, insert wood dowel, hit dowel sharply a few times, and presto! This works remarkably well for these types of bearings.
          Thanks it worked like a charm!

-Mat

Comment

Working...