• Feb 2009

My 69 is VIN 24436214F

This is what I got from the CalVIN calculator

244 Model: Land Rover, Series IIA
    Body type: Basic or Station wagon
    Wheel base: 88in
    Engine: petrol
    Model years: 1962-1971
    Destination: Export, left-hand drive (LHD)
    36214 Serial number
    F Design: Five significant design modifications
    Suffix used from March 1969 till April 1969

If anyone knows anything more of where this batch went to etc. drop me a line.
    Neil
    1969 Series IIA 88 Daily Driver.

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
      4th Gear
      • Jun 2008

Neil,

Post some pictures of your ride. We would love to get a closer look.

-Gary
      "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Comment

• Nill
        Low Range
        • Feb 2009

Gary swing over to the pictures page I posted a load of series **** over there.

-Neil
        Neil
        1969 Series IIA 88 Daily Driver.

Comment

• thunderfoot
          Low Range
          • Feb 2008

Bugeye registry

Hi I have a 69 Bugeye VIN no: 24435829F. I couldn't resist the paint scheme. It a great little road warrior. I love the idea of a Bugeye Registry. Nice to know there are a few of us out there.

Comment

• rwollschlager
            5th Gear
            • Sep 2007

I love the paint job! is it actually paint or are they vinyl decals? My dad and I were thinking of going down the same road with our IIA 109. You have a cool little truck!
            ------------------------------------------------
            72 SIII 88
            67 SIIA 109
            82 SIII Stage 1 V8
            -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
              4th Gear
              • Jun 2008

Dude, that zebra look is tight!

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                4th Gear
                • Jun 2008

Updated the summary list in the first post.

Jeff, I noticed while doing that, that Steve's and your's are 3 units apart; rolling down the line, very close together.

Let me know if anyone wants a "Bugeye Registry" logo sent to them.

-Gary

Comment

• thunderfoot
                  Low Range
                  • Feb 2008

Thanks! The zebra is actually painted that way. It was done many years ago by the original owner in Arizona. The paint is a bit faded, but I hope to get it redone or touched up one of these days when I can afford it. Right now, I am trying to get new seats in, so my dogs can ride with me, and do a few other things to the interior. I named it Oliver (in tribute to one of Richard Hammond's cars on Top Gear).

Comment

• thunderfoot
                    Low Range
                    • Feb 2008

I forgot to add that I would love to get a Bugeye logo!

The thunderfoot is from the name of our farm. We have some Friesian horses, and when they run it sounds like thunder.

TJ and Oliver the Bugeyed Zebra

Comment

• TSR53
                      5th Gear
                      • Mar 2006

Cheers, Thompson
                      Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
                      Rovers North, Inc.

Comment

• dustoff38
                        Low Range
                        • Mar 2009

Here is another bug eye for you, I will try and upload pic's later, 69 VIN 24436154F living in Fairbanks Alaska

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                          4th Gear
                          • Jun 2008

MThede Syrup

Originally posted by dustoff38
                          Here is another bug eye for you, I will try and upload pic's later, 69 VIN 24436154F living in Fairbanks Alaska
                          Dustoff,

Post more information about the vehicle, like color, duties (if there are any), etc. Pictures are most welcome.

Mike Thede,

I read your piece about your Series, and the maple syrup, etc. Very interesting. How can any of us buy some of that syrup? PM me for the info.

Comment

• redfoxrovers
                            Low Range
                            • Apr 2009

bugeye

I have a list of 18 or 19 vin #s for bug eye's.
                            3 were mine, one is yours and thunderfoot's is on my list.
                            I just found your posting today and finally joined the forum to follow up on the registry. I will compile the list and forward to you.
                            From what I have yours is in the early part of the run (+-).
                            I have it listed as "08-27-02 eBay"
                            The range of numbers is about 1,059 and I think the square bezel was introduce within the same model year, 1969 = Sept1968 to August 1969.
                            If you go by model year I think al the Bugeye's were 1969 models.
                            1970 must have been square bezel only.

Is the logo available?

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                              4th Gear
                              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by redfoxrovers
                              I have a list of 18 or 19 vin #s for bug eye's.
                              3 were mine, one is yours and thunderfoot's is on my list.
                              I just found your posting today and finally joined the forum to follow up on the registry. I will compile the list and forward to you.
                              From what I have yours is in the early part of the run (+-).
                              I have it listed as "08-27-02 eBay"
                              The range of numbers is about 1,059 and I think the square bezel was introduce within the same model year, 1969 = Sept1968 to August 1969.
                              If you go by model year I think al the Bugeye's were 1969 models.
                              1970 must have been square bezel only.

Is the logo available?

RedFox-

Man, what a great name. One of my favorite comics. This list, where is it from, how and why do you have it? 08-27-02 eBay ?? Not sure I understand. I am very interested in any information you have, and thank you for your consideration.

By the way, I think it would be difficult to determine if your statement is absolutely true, about no units being built in '70, and all being built in '69. I thought so as well, but it appears that there were a few '68's. More importantly, the whole reason there is a bug eye, has to do with economics; that is, Land Rover decided to use up it's inventory of existing headlights and fenders, rather than stop production, wait for an updated design to come through, wait for new fenders and bezels to be added to their inventory, then continue building. Even after they got the new design, and resulting inventory, why throw the old stuff away? They probably continued to build a few "one-sies" for markets that would allow it. In other words, I'll bet that they were building the new design, along with the old design, and during this time period, you could see headlights on the fenders with bezels, right next to bugeyes, going down the production line, simultaneously. My guess is, that Thompson is correct, a few of them got built in '70 as well.

The logo is available in a couple of posts on this thread. Right-click on it, and, "save picture as"...

Again, thank you for your contribution and I anxiously await any information that you have.

-Gary

Comment

• redfoxrovers
                                Low Range
                                • Apr 2009

Bugeye

I don't know of the comic redfox. The i.d. has to do with my wife.
                                The list includes a column for the "Source" from which the vin # came.
                                Your vehicle was on eBay on the date listed.
                                I have had 14 or so Land Rovers in various states of condition and when I decided on my "final" project I choose the Bugeye for the unique detail.
                                I started tracking Bugeye vin #s some years ago and have contacted the people selling or buying when possible. So the list has a little background for some #s and no info for others. It's been a hobby and I actually corresponded with a guy in Holland, where some Bugeyes were shipped.

David

Comment

Working...