X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rineheitzgabot
    4th Gear
    • Jun 2008

Updated list on first page. Added Bill's Bugeye that is for sale.

Thanks Bill!!
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Comment

• siii8873
      Overdrive
      • Jul 2007

69 Bugeye

I will soon be the new owner of a red Bugeye VIN#24436207F. Currently in your registry under Bill-Williamsport,PA.
      The history of this truck that I know is that it was owned by a Bill in Maine from around 1990 until Bill in PA bought it in March 2010.
      I looked at the truck when Bill in Maine had it for sale under "oldredbugeye" on the forum. Truck is quite original except galv frame. I thought it ran good, shifted fine, needed some time/$ invested to make it good. Not right at the time for what I was looking for. Sold a completed project this spring so was looking for another, this is it.
      Bob - Plattsburgh area New York State
      THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
      THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
      THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
      THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
      THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
      THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Gordon Fowler
        Low Range
        • Jul 2010

A Bug Eye New to Registry

I am in the process of a frame off restoration of a 1970 Series IIA.
        Serial# 00667K244360797, Chassis #24436079F4
        I have a fair bit of history however there may be some holes I will be able to fill-in later. This Vehicle started it's service in Hope, British Columbia, spent some time in Alberta and drew it's last breath in Wentworth, Nova Scotia. Currently this Pastel Green beauty is on life support in Fredericton, New Brunswick, (Canada). She is sitting on a new galvanized chassis and her axles are currently supporting her transmission. Should have her origional engine reunited by this Saturday.
        Her body was in remarkable condition and unmolested. Monday marks her date for "plastic surgery". Thankfully she only requires a nip and a tuck. I was fortunate enough to source two "good used" front panels and they were indeed in good shape. Everything else was pretty much good to go.
        The only unfortunate note is, this lovely lady will not be in attendance at the British car show in Windsor, Nova Scotia this month.

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
          4th Gear
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Gordon Fowler
          I am in the process of a frame off restoration of a 1970 Series IIA.
          Serial# 00667K244360797, Chassis #24436079F4
          I have a fair bit of history however there may be some holes I will be able to fill-in later. This Vehicle started it's service in Hope, British Columbia, spent some time in Alberta and drew it's last breath in Wentworth, Nova Scotia. Currently this Pastel Green beauty is on life support in Fredericton, New Brunswick, (Canada). She is sitting on a new galvanized chassis and her axles are currently supporting her transmission. Should have her origional engine reunited by this Saturday.
          Her body was in remarkable condition and unmolested. Monday marks her date for "plastic surgery". Thankfully she only requires a nip and a tuck. I was fortunate enough to source two "good used" front panels and they were indeed in good shape. Everything else was pretty much good to go.
          The only unfortunate note is, this lovely lady will not be in attendance at the British car show in Windsor, Nova Scotia this month.
          Let's see some pics of her; any!

Comment

• Gordon Fowler
            Low Range
            • Jul 2010

Bug Eye Pictures

I will attempt posting a couple of pictures.
            [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Gordon/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/Bug%20Eye%20Chassis%20and%20axles/Bug%20Eye%20Chassis%20and%20axles%20006.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
              4th Gear
              • Jun 2008

Gordon,

Thanks for the pics. Good luck with the rebuild!

I have heard people say that there are no 1970 Bugeyes. Although I believe it was certainly possible, yours is the first one I have seen.

Thanks for the contribution.

-Gary

Comment

• siii8873
                Overdrive
                • Jul 2007

69 bugeye

I am the new owner of the red Bugeye VIN#24436207F. Currently in your registry under Bill-Williamsport,PA.
                THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                  4th Gear
                  • Jun 2008

Post pics please!!

Registry updated 7-31-10

Comment

• siii8873
                    Overdrive
                    • Jul 2007

Bugeye picture

here are a few pictures of my bugeye. I am in the process of doing some restoration work on the truck so it's wings are removed.
                    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

• Gordon Fowler
                      Low Range
                      • Jul 2010

Gary,
                      You are no-doubt correct. I went by the registration which may not reflect the date of manufacture. Manufacture plate is with body shop. I will check and confirm date of manufacture.
                      Gordon

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                        4th Gear
                        • Jun 2008

Thanks Triumph, for the hit. Glad to see your enthusiasm, and excitement about your new life.

The VIN that you provided is not a standard VIN. Perhaps a serial number of sorts MOD, etc. You may or may not know this, but the VIN will be stamped in the frame rail, at the very front of the vehicle, on what is called the "horn". There are two wing plates welded to either side of the frame that create a mounting point for the front of the front leaf springs. It is on the outboard side, of the right-hand horn (perhaps different on the Australian exports). Use a flashlight, and look closely. I would love to know what the VIN is.

The Australian export market is one of the markets that caused Land Rover to start mounting the headlights on the fronts of the wings, so your truck interests me considerably.

That being said, the headlights on your truck are not mounted in the standard location as other Bugeyes are. They are less inboard, and about half-way (vertically speaking) on the fronts of the wings. As you can see in the photos, all the others are about 2/3 of the way up the fronts of the wings, and more inboard. Your headlights could have been mounted by either the MOD, the factory, or a previous owner. All the others in this thread were presumably mounted by the factory.

I will wait to hear from you on the number you find on the frame horn.

Thanks again for your input, and if you have questions, shoot a picture of the outboard side of the frame, through the wheel-well, just in front of the wheel. Wipe it off with whatever you need to, to get down to the original surface.

Regards,
                        Gary
                        Last edited by Rineheitzgabot; 08-20-2010, 07:11 AM. Reason: mispelling

Comment

• Triumphdaytona2007
                          Low Range
                          • Aug 2010

ok i will definately look for the vin on the frame tommorow, is there a way to tell if the lights were put in by the factory? i know of another bugeye land rover it is in starke florida, im not sure of the vin, the guy was going to trade it to me but it didnt work out, here are some pictures of it
                          Last edited by Triumphdaytona2007; 02-06-2011, 10:16 PM.
                          1964 Series IIa 109" Pick-Up RHD
                          1965 Series IIa 88" Wagon LHD
                          1968 Series IIa 109" Station Wagon LHD

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                            4th Gear
                            • Jun 2008

Take some close up pictures of the surface-mounting of the lights, and on the inside of the fender (the reverse-side of the surface-mounting). We can compare them to the ones on this thread, and discuss it.

Thanks,
                            Gary

Comment

• Gordon Fowler
                              Low Range
                              • Jul 2010

Gary,
                              I have a question with regards to the proper lights for the Bug Eye. The flasher for the front bottom is the 4" amber. I have been able to reconstruct a couple for the front. I believe they are also used on the rear according to the picture in the Rovers North Catalogue. It is a bit difficult to see so if you could confirm this I would appreciate it.
                              Also please help me with the front lights at the top of the front wing. I have seen a couple of different versions in some photographs. I believe they are the clear glass beehive version. When I got this truck I believe it had the flat glass version. Could you set me straight on this as well?
                              The project is starting to come together. The mechanical portion is at a stand-still because the painter has the chassis along with various body parts. I expect he will be another month or so. His attention to detail is excellent.
                              With any luck I will have almost everything together sometime in October.
                              I checked the registry and did not see my name. Do you need any more information from me? Also I checked the serial number plate and did not see a date of manufacture.
                              Gordon
                              Gordon

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
                                4th Gear
                                • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Gordon Fowler
                                Gary,
                                I have a question with regards to the proper lights for the Bug Eye. The flasher for the front bottom is the 4" amber. I have been able to reconstruct a couple for the front. I believe they are also used on the rear according to the picture in the Rovers North Catalogue. It is a bit difficult to see so if you could confirm this I would appreciate it.
                                Also please help me with the front lights at the top of the front wing. I have seen a couple of different versions in some photographs. I believe they are the clear glass beehive version. When I got this truck I believe it had the flat glass version. Could you set me straight on this as well?
                                The project is starting to come together. The mechanical portion is at a stand-still because the painter has the chassis along with various body parts. I expect he will be another month or so. His attention to detail is excellent.
                                With any luck I will have almost everything together sometime in October.
                                I checked the registry and did not see my name. Do you need any more information from me? Also I checked the serial number plate and did not see a date of manufacture.
                                Gordon
                                Gordon
                                Gordon,

Thanks for the faith in my knowledge, but I must admit that the exact specifications of parking lights/turn signals of this era are a bit of a mystery to me. I had '69 (non-bugeye) that had different lights than my bugeye, and I have seen different discussions on this, and other boards, about what lights were used at a given time. So, I do not know what is OEM, and what is not.

If one of the guys at RN are reading this, perhaps they could shed some light for you on what lights to bolt on, for your truck. I replaced mine with some beehives; NOT the ones pictured in the logo, or other pics on this board, if you want to see them, I can provide you with pics of mine, currently. Let me know.

As for the Bugeye registry, I was waiting to hear from you on the details of your "1970"-issue we discussed earlier. The list will be updated, directly.

Good luck with the rebuild. Hope everything goes as planned, and definitely post some pictures when complete!!

-Gary

Comment

Working...