Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

If you are just getting your feet wet you will soon find that your knee next to the door will be wet too if you are driving in the rain.

Brent
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• I Leak Oil
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by bullstanky
      I do have the Salisbury rear end. Where can I find shims that will do the trick?
      Careful with the shim idea. Shims have their place but too much, which is what you would most likely need, will start to cause driveshaft angle problems.
      Remember, you need to clear the cross member enough so when the suspension is at full droop it doesn't make contact. Clearance at ride height isn't enough.
      When you go through the effort of replacing all the engine/tranny mounts, u-joints (sounds like you really need to do these), add enough shim to the rear to clear the cross member but add drive line vibrations, intentionally sag your new springs...sounds like making a small notch in the cross member is a minimal amount of work....you don't really need to use a sawzall but however you do it a notch will ultimately leave you with a better setup.
      Cut it, weld it up (or leave it), drive and enjoy it instead of putting more work into it.
      Jason T.
      Jason
      "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• bullstanky
        1st Gear
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by LaneRover
        If you are just getting your feet wet you will soon find that your knee next to the door will be wet too if you are driving in the rain.

Brent
        I have a hole in the floor board that lets the rainwater from the dash vents drain as it comes through the cab, so my feet are wet and my socks are soaked.

Now that I'm spending $k's on suspensions and other parts that don't quite line up, I feel like I'm getting a taste of the "authentic" Series LR experience!
        '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

Comment

• bullstanky
          1st Gear
          • Dec 2007

After a little investigation, it appears that RN, Atlantic British and British Pacific were all getting parabolic springs from the same vendor, who at some point changed the specs of the rear springs creating the problem I have described with driveline geometry, and the current lack of available parabolic spring kits.

Is there anything to worry about or look out for when notching and welding up a crossmember?
          '75 SIII 109 Diesel - I'm in deep.

Comment

Working...