Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

I just came across a video of a rollover overachiever this morning--It is halfway down the page and loads automatically when you boot the page up.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• adkrover
      2nd Gear
      • Jan 2008

I think we are forgetting that Rosie intends to drive her Rover as a delivery truck for her organic milk farm. It's unlikely that you will need to worry about a rollover as long as you can keep it under 85 and not try to forge any gorges. I'm sure there is some cunning way to make a pun using crying over spilled milk but that is not my thing.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
        Overdrive
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by adkrover
        I think we are forgetting that Rosie intends to drive her Rover as a delivery truck for her organic milk farm.
        Funny...First an enquiry about high traction tires. Now one about rollovers. I'm beginning to suspect that the "little farm delivery truck" is a ruse and that intensive off-roading and expeditioning is really what Rosie has in mind!
        --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
        (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Blueboy
          1st Gear
          • Apr 2008

today's drivers are another matter . Driving defensively never made more sense to me than it does today
          especially on the MA Turnpike!

all joking aside, it does seem that there are more drivers out there today that are not paying any attention to what they are doing.

feel sure all have horror stories, yet, most recently a person keep on driving through a stop at a "T" intersection and would have hit me directly midsection had I not been watching him and seeing he was not slowing down.

how can you not see something as large as a blue 109 with a white top?

Jaime
          One Life Live It

Comment

• derekchace
            4th Gear
            • May 2008

Originally posted by Rosie
            Just wondering what thoughts/stories are out there on potential and real rollovers with Land Rovers. With a short wheel base and a tall profile, is rolling over a consideration?
            Hi,

This is my husband's ID on this forum, my name is Cate Chace, but I just saw your post and felt compelled to reply. We had a '73 LW Series III and we were involved in an accident when a bloke pulled out in front of us with no warning. Our car rolled avoiding him and we were not going fast! I was very badly hurt. I nearly died, multi trauma is no fun, I assure you. Get a roll bar and replace the seat belts. My medical bill is about $150,000, I still cannot drive, my arm is still broken and trying to heal (I may have to have another operation), I have terrible scars along my arm and underneath in my armpit as when the bone (humerus) broke in half, it ripped open my underarm, my ribs (ALL broke) still hurt, I can't use my hand properly due to radial nerv damage, my neck and back hurt constantly, I have a bald spot on my head where it came into contact wth Rte 15. PLEASE don't let this happen to you. We only went out for a cremee!! I am lucky in that a) I lived, and b) I still have my arm; but the "recovery" is very hard and physical therapy is helping but it can be very depressing. I wish we had had a roll bar and harness type seat belts.
            Cate
            GMR Imports
            802-655-4874
            802-324-3370
            gmr4x4.com

Comment

• Tim Smith
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

Hi Cate,
              Let me extend my sincerest hope for a speedy and successful recovery. Your story is a sad one but I'm heartened in the fact that you survived and I'm down right delighted that you are actually able to muster the strength and post your story to the board.

I can't imagine the road you'll have to follow before a full recovery but we're all pulling for you.

Best wishes.
              Tim

Comment

• thixon
                5th Gear
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by derekchace
                Hi,

This is my husband's ID on this forum, my name is Cate Chace, but I just saw your post and felt compelled to reply. We had a '73 LW Series III and we were involved in an accident when a bloke pulled out in front of us with no warning. Our car rolled avoiding him and we were not going fast! I was very badly hurt. I nearly died, multi trauma is no fun, I assure you. Get a roll bar and replace the seat belts. My medical bill is about $150,000, I still cannot drive, my arm is still broken and trying to heal (I may have to have another operation), I have terrible scars along my arm and underneath in my armpit as when the bone (humerus) broke in half, it ripped open my underarm, my ribs (ALL broke) still hurt, I can't use my hand properly due to radial nerv damage, my neck and back hurt constantly, I have a bald spot on my head where it came into contact wth Rte 15. PLEASE don't let this happen to you. We only went out for a cremee!! I am lucky in that a) I lived, and b) I still have my arm; but the "recovery" is very hard and physical therapy is helping but it can be very depressing. I wish we had had a roll bar and harness type seat belts.
                Cate
                I saw the earlier posts and photos on this. Terrible story. Makes me think twice about piling my youngsters into my truck. Glad you made it through, and I hope you have a speedy and full recovery. Good luck to you.
                Travis
                '66 IIa 88

Comment

• Rosie
                  1st Gear
                  • Jul 2008

I secretly would love to forge the gorges around here!! This truck is a little goat for sure!!! I love the way it just picks up and pulls ahead!! And now that my steering is tight, I can actually drive in traffic!!!
                  But the plan is to soberly stay on the road unless one of my cows needs quick rescue in the pasture. I thought I would perhaps haul wood etc., but the truck is too nice at this point, maybe years from now, when it is more broken in...or worn out....but I would like to think of it also as some kind of investment at this point, since the paper investments seem to be going down the tubes....
                  Anyway, more seriously, Cate, very very sorry to hear about your suffering from the accident. It is a wake-up call to be prepared out there. I do have a shoulder strap seatbelt, but not a roll bar. Dones Rovers North sells these? I do also worry about the door panels, while we are on the subject of fear of driving, and wonder if steel sliders would help if hit from the side.... anyone have any thoughts?

Comment

• Eric W S
                    5th Gear
                    • Dec 2006

Dones Rovers North sells these? I do also worry about the door panels, while we are on the subject of fear of driving, and wonder if steel sliders would help if hit from the side.... anyone have any thoughts?
                    RN doesn't sell roll bars.

Sliders are not designed for side impact protection. Will they help? Depends on what hits you and how fast.

If your worried about a rollover, get a cage. It's that simple.

Your going to spend a great deal of money trying to make an antique into a modern safe driving car. And in the end, your better off starting with a modern car than trying to create one.

Your better off doing everything you can to prevent a rollover than trying to protect against one. Best brakes, shocks, springs, engine in good tune with good acceleration...

Comment

• Tim Smith
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

... wonder if steel sliders would help if hit from the side.... anyone have any thoughts?
                      I think so!

By the way, as for using your truck for the harder/dirtier chores, I say go for it! These aren't fragile antiques to be relegated as 'only for show' vehicles.

Get yourself a thick rubber horse mat, cut it to size and toss it in the back. That will protect the floor and sides against bumps and bruises as well as quiet things down a little bit. I'm certainly glad I did.

Comment

• greenmeanie
                        Overdrive
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Eric W S
                        RN doesn't sell roll bars.

Sliders are not designed for side impact protection. Will they help? Depends on what hits you and how fast.

If your worried about a rollover, get a cage. It's that simple.

Your going to spend a great deal of money trying to make an antique into a modern safe driving car. And in the end, your better off starting with a modern car than trying to create one.

Your better off doing everything you can to prevent a rollover than trying to protect against one. Best brakes, shocks, springs, engine in good tune with good acceleration...
                        It of course depends on the sliders and as you say what hits you but they can only help with side impact. The truck as built has only 1mm thk aluminium sills and door panels with that minimalist door frame between you and the outside world. Put on a set of sliders like those provided by IKe that pick up onthe chassis at several points and it will help with most cars and normal pickups/suvs. I recently stripped down the driver's door on an Audi allroad (Gets good safety ratings) and the side impact bar is a piece of aluminium strip about 1/4" thick positioned mid way up the door. Of course the rest of the car structure is designed to crumple in a sympathetic way but it gives you something to compare to.

As for rolling over. For normal road use you should be fine if you run a hard top. Several of us have experienced roll overs where the hard top has held up well enough to walk and, in some cases, drive away.

Cate and Derek were drving in a stripped lighweight where only the foldable windscreen projects above the bodywork. This is great wind in your hair driving but not very safe as they will attest to. A roll hoop or cage becomes attractive/essential when running a canvas or completely topless.

As several have pointed out - keep her well maintained and drive defensively.

Cate, it is great to see you are making progress.

Gregor

Comment

• Eric W S
                          5th Gear
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by greenmeanie
                          As several have pointed out - keep her well maintained and drive defensively.
                          Exactly. Good defensive driving goes a long way.

Try driving a 66 in the city of Chicago and your driving style changes. Trust me.

Buy sliders for when you take the 88 into the field. Not to enhance side impact.

Comment

• Leslie
                            5th Gear
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Tim Smith
                            By the way, as for using your truck for the harder/dirtier chores, I say go for it! These aren't fragile antiques to be relegated as 'only for show' vehicles.

Get yourself a thick rubber horse mat, cut it to size and toss it in the back. That will protect the floor and sides against bumps and bruises as well as quiet things down a little bit.

That's what I did. Tractor Supply has some thick stall mats on sale right now. I cut one up to cover the bed of the 88" (the bed is right at three feet wide by four feet deep), then I took the rest and cut strips of it to cover the wheelwells too (I don't have any seats in the back of mine at all). The mat is darn near an inch thick. My labrador is much happier riding back there now.

These things are for use, Rosie. If you want to carry some wood, go for it.
                            -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
                            '60 SII 88" RHD

Comment

• Blueboy
                              1st Gear
                              • Apr 2008

My labrador is much happier riding back there now
                              when we had the HTD90, I installed a ST rear mat after removing the jumpseats for the 2 Labs.

One would be on each side with the front paws on the wheelwell and their head out the window.

with the rear mat in place, you can clean it out very easily and not worry about what you carry including soaking wet Labs or firewood.

of course now they just sit in the rear seat and the wood goes in the rear cargo area.

Jaime
                              One Life Live It

Comment

Working...