Parabolic 3-Leaf Rear Springs on Soft Top?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

Parabolic 3-Leaf Rear Springs on Soft Top?

Has anyone used the Rovers North 3-leaf rear parabolic springs on a soft top 88? Used with the 2-leaf front parabolics, how was the ride height? Was the rear way up in the air?

I'm looking into springs for my 73 Lightweight project. I was going to get the Rocky Mountain 2 leaf fronts and 2 leaf rears to keep an even ride height. I'm having some issues getting in touch with RM, and I would rather just buy everything from Rovers North. However, Rovers North only offers the 3-leaf rear springs. I want to make sure that I don't end up with an uneven ride height.

Any input is appreciated.
  • graniterover
    1st Gear
    • Oct 2006

Having only experience with 2 leafs and a soft top, I'd say the 3's are too much. The back will be too high. Never tried it though....

Comment

• jac04
      Overdrive
      • Feb 2007

^^ Are you using the Rocky Mountain 2-leaf rears? How is the ride height? Thanks.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

I have RM 3 leaves in the back and to be honest I don't really notice a difference in either ride height or comfort going between the safari top or the soft top.
        Jason T.
        Jason
        "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• scott
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

i've got the 3 leaf on my softtop and it rides great. well sits great i should say as the engine is dead. but when it was running the ride was nice. i got about a 2" lift front and rear over that of the 44 y/o stock springs
          '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
          '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
          '76 Spitfire 1500
          '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• Moose
            2nd Gear
            • Oct 2006

I've got the RM 3 leafers on the back of my 88 soft top. The rear rides about an inch or so higher then the front. With a heavy load in the back, the ride is great, but empty, I think the 3-leafs on an 88 soft top are a bit too firm.

Brett
            Series 3 88 Diesel Soft Top
            Ex-Mod 110 Tdi

Comment

• graniterover
              1st Gear
              • Oct 2006

Mil length shackles in the front. Planned on doing them for the rear but it was already high. It might just be my truck, who knows.

Comment

• jac04
                Overdrive
                • Feb 2007

^^That's what my 63 soft top looked like with Rocky Mountain 2 leaf fronts / 3 leaf rears with front military shackles (well, maybe a little higher).

Comment

• xsbowes
                  2nd Gear
                  • Dec 2006

This is my 72 Ltwt with 2 leaf front, and 2 on the back, i think and OME shocks. I'll have to check for sure on the rear. The springs probably need lubed. But it rides alot better than the SIIA I had with new stock springs and procomp shocks. Especially over those reflectors they use for speed bumps here. They toss my Montero all over. with the Ltwt I only hear the noise. I also have a Safari top on it now.

Stacy
                  Motta S.A. Italy

Comment

• Jim-ME
                    Overdrive
                    • Oct 2006

I've got RM 3 leaf rears on my 88 softtop. The rear end sits a little higher than the front but I don't think it's obnoxious. As far as ride goes, it's been so long since I've ridden in a Rover with stock springs I can't really comment.
                    Jim

Comment

• Tim Smith
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

I've got RM (I think) two leafers in the front, three in the back. I think there is a difference of about an inch from front to back unloaded but I've also got a winch with wire spool hanging off the front. When the 33" spare was mounted on the front, the truck felt a little unbalanced. After tossing that in the back, it feels better.

For daily driving the three leafers *might* be a little much but when you do things like below with your truck, you'll be happy with the ride.

I've had 10 90# bags of cement in the back and I gotta tell you that the three leafers certainly will smooth right out.

Comment

• badvibes
                        3rd Gear
                        • Mar 2007

jac04-

I've driven a soft top 88 for most of a year, truck is my friend Scott's. RM paras, 2 leaf front, 3 leaf rears. Compared to my 88 which has a hard top and a relatively new stock 9 leaf front, 11 leaf rear suspension Scott's truck rides and handles a bit nicer on the road. Off road his suspension seems to flex well but I think its limited by still running the stock length shocks. Ride height between the 2 trucks is very comparable.

Jeff

Whoops, sorry jac04, guess my reading skills need some work.
                        Last edited by badvibes; 10-18-2008, 03:59 PM.
                        1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• jac04
                          Overdrive
                          • Feb 2007

Lots of good stuff here, but has anyone used the Rovers North parabolics on a soft top 88?

Comment

• TedW
                            5th Gear
                            • Feb 2007

Yes. Parabolics and soft top. I got mine from Les (aka "The Man&quot.

2-leaf front / 3-leaf rear.
                            Black. Not sure who made them. Les??? They are not RM's, I do know that.
                            I also got OME shocks.
                            Took off the OME shocks. Too stiff for me.
                            Put my Woodheads back on.
                            Love the ride. Even better now with poly bushes (confession: mine are from Great Basin Rovers - greasable and very cool).
                            Night and day compared to stock springs. Talk to Les and he will set you right.

Comment

• jac04
                              Overdrive
                              • Feb 2007

Ted-
                              Do you have any other pictures of your Rover to give me an idea of ride height?

I'm dealing with Les right now on a bunch of parts to refurbish my Lightweight. I just wanted to make sure that the 3-leafs wouldn't be too much for the rear.

Comment

Working...