• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rineheitzgabot
    4th Gear
    • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Hormel
    Rineheitzgabot,
    Great looking rack! At a local meet I had a chance to look closely at the roof rack off the Poppy Red Rover you modeled yours after. One of the interesting things about it was that the weight bearing legs of the rack went down through approx. 1.5" holes in the tropical top. Thus the side brackets did not have to bear any weight so it was a fairly light connection and I think only a tension fitting. The Red Rover is a tight restoration and a very high standard to match.

My recollection of the information sheet on the Red Rover from the meet was that it claimed to be an original rover rack. The restorer of uses nothing but 'proper' parts but it is definitely different than the cut sheet Eric posted. No doubt more than one rack was used, but I always thought that one looked like it came off passenger car.
    John

I also knew that the rack is considered OEM. I did notice that the one in Eric's .pdf was not the same. There must have been more than one.

I really wanted it to look "60's", as opposed to a black, sporty lookin' thing (just my taste). I have always like the way 60's Volkswagens look with a short, functional, cream-colored roof rack on them, and I guess this "look" is what inspired me.
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Comment

Working...