X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickDawson
    5th Gear
    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Daurie
    Forgive me if you posted already but what is your price range? The eBay truck previously posted would be a good catch (in my opinion) if you can get it at or under 11K. That particular truck looks to be in generally the same condition as mine and I got mine for 11.5K and thats before the economy took a dump.
    Glad you asked
    I had hoped to find something around $6K plus or minus $2K...
    For instance, a $5,000 truck that runs but needs $2K worth of refurb (plus my time) would be a great project. Conversely, an $8K truck that is already in good shape would be a nice catch but a real stretch for me.

Others have suggested that the ebay model in question is worth b/t $7-$8K ... you said $11, do you think thats more realistic?

I have some "comps" in the works, including an interesting prospect in Ashville, NC. I spoke with Sean at Blueridge Rover Works - a shop that a good friend trusts his classic RR to. They have a truck that looks ugly as hell, but has a solid frame with no rust and runs well for $5,500. For $2K and my own time and effort, I'd think it might end up looking pretty nice. I've also watched two seemingly good condition 1978ish 109s go for $9K on ebay. Granted I didn't examine either one, but as a comparison...

I'd love feedback on my price range and what is realistic. I want to make sure I am offering folks a fair value (when I do find "the one") but my budget is tight. Its a lot better for me to spend $5.5K now and slowly put in $2K more... My $8K limit is firm (and not too high on the spousal acceptance factor)

Comment

• bmohan55
      4th Gear
      • Sep 2008

As far as the spouse factor, see above thread...
      sounds like you are going down the same road as me..I found a good solid truck, in your price range, then put a few more $$$ into it to make it "right" but do not, repeat do not share EVERTHING with the S.O.

Again, I'm not far from you so if you would like to check out and drive mine around pm me, also I could help with transportation if you find one out of town.
      04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
      '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Comment

• Eric W S
        5th Gear
        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by NickDawson
        I'd love feedback on my price range and what is realistic. I want to make sure I am offering folks a fair value (when I do find "the one") but my budget is tight. Its a lot better for me to spend $5.5K now and slowly put in $2K more... My $8K limit is firm (and not too high on the spousal acceptance factor)
        Why do you want to offer fair value? The seller is going to try to get the best price and you should try to get the lowest price.

You can easily spend 2k just replacing a major system, like the brakes.

Try this. Find a random ebay ad for a rover similar to the "one". Try to find and price the issues the truck has.

Comment

• NickDawson
          5th Gear
          • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Eric W S
          Why do you want to offer fair value? The seller is going to try to get the best price and you should try to get the lowest price.

You can easily spend 2k just replacing a major system, like the brakes.

Try this. Find a random ebay ad for a rover similar to the "one". Try to find and price the issues the truck has.
          Thanks Eric!
          I think we are on the same page. When I said "fair" I also meant "fair to me" ... don't get me wrong, I'm more concerned with my own wallet than anyone elses

I like your ebay comp idea - its what I was using in my own mind, but I might even print out some past sales to take with.

Comment

• NickDawson
            5th Gear
            • Apr 2009

Well the trip to Williamsburg wasn't a total bust...we had a nice lunch.
            The truck was in near mint condition - really nice shape.

I made an offer but he wants $15K and is firm.

So, the search continues.

Comment

• xsbowes
              2nd Gear
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by NickDawson
              Well the trip to Williamsburg wasn't a total bust...we had a nice lunch.
              The truck was in near mint condition - really nice shape.

I made an offer but he wants $15K and is firm.

So, the search continues.
              Search on www.landroverexchange.com, there is a fairly nice lightweight in Raleigh NC. I found my lightweight on here. I've also sold a hardtop thru this site and it went pretty fast.
              Stacy
              Motta S.A. Italy

Comment

• NickDawson
                5th Gear
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by xsbowes
                Search on www.landroverexchange.com, there is a fairly nice lightweight in Raleigh NC. I found my lightweight on here. I've also sold a hardtop thru this site and it went pretty fast.
                Thanks Xsbowes!
                I'm not too crazy about the lightweights but I have seen that one on ebay and its not too far from me... might be worth a look.

I'm also eying this 109 - anyone in the Ashville NC area want to take a look for me?

This guy also looks promising - Asheville NC seems to be a mecca for these things...there's a ton of listings and shops down that way.
                Last edited by NickDawson; 04-25-2009, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Working...