X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • badvibes
    3rd Gear
    • Mar 2007

warm up

First I know that New Mexico cold is nothing like Maine cold, but I'm a wimp. My truck runs like an absolute pig until it warms up well. The manual choke will keep it running but it misses, backfires and just runs very rough until well warmed up. I'm wondering about some type of add on engine heater, block type, inline on a raditor hose, whatever. Anybody use one, what type, and what do you like about it or dislike about it? I'd appreciate some feedback from experience to help me decide what I'd like to try. Thanks.

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter
  • scott
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

jeff

you know mine has the 110v lower rad hose heater. haven't had to use it in a while. i'm just posting this to get even w/ ya. you know i hate it every time you swing open the rear door to your clean uncluttered tub. the pd starts w/o choke and is ready to go after about two minutes of idling and this almost makes up for having for having the pig stye behind me

if you want we can swap out lower rad hoses and you could see if that helps but dude it's only been in the twenties. what are you going to do when the glaciers return?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• badvibes
      3rd Gear
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scott
      jeff

you know mine has the 110v lower rad hose heater. Yep. haven't had to use it in a while. I didn't know you had ever used it. i'm just posting this to get even w/ ya. you know i hate it every time you swing open the rear door to your clean uncluttered tub.

the pd starts w/o choke and is ready to go after about two minutes of idling and this almost makes up for having for having the pig stye behind me

if you want we can swap out lower rad hoses and you could see if that helps but dude it's only been in the twenties. I could also put away all the junk I have sitting out in the way and park inside the garage, that would prevent the problem. what are you going to do when the glaciers return? I'm gonna go all sled dog.
      Still seeking more opinions.....

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• KingSlug
        1st Gear
        • Oct 2006

This might seem silly since I am in SoCal, didnt have issue in Hilo. I have a mylar/bubble wrap windscreen sunblocker, so when I start up I walk up front and put the sunblocker against the breakfast to prevent airflow to the radiator and oil cooler. Yes, its a poor mans version of a radiator muff. But with a MOD rover its always over cooled, the 8 bladed fan sucks enough air that you can feel the breeze at idle. Soon as the oil temp gauge needle starts deflecting, I remove the air blocker and I am ready to go.

Jared
        Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Comment

• scott
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

well this was a new problem for me. woke up and it was 13`F. when out to start it up and the rubber cover for the starter button was so cold and hard it took me a while to get to where i could push it in. it's a cheapy from autozone...guess i should have stay w/ an original
          '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• badvibes
            3rd Gear
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scott
            well this was a new problem for me. woke up and it was 13`F. when out to start it up and the rubber cover for the starter button was so cold and hard it took me a while to get to where i could push it in.
            chief-

Well there's another difference in our trucks. Mine has a metal button on the end of a metal post coming thru the bulkhead. You must have the deluxe starter button.

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• stomper
              5th Gear
              • Apr 2007

Wow, that cold weather really sucks, it was in the 40's this morning up here in Maine today! Bring on the global warming, Maine will be the next Florida!
              Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• gudjeon
                5th Gear
                • Oct 2006

The OVLR web site has an a part # for a plunk in block heater you can get from any good North American parts store. It goes into one the frost plug holes. I put mine in the centre right before I put on the manifolds.
                I would imagine using the rear frost plug hole would work as the original optional one was threaded into the rear of the block.

I also had an in line unit that hooked up with the heater line. This worked OK but you had to mount it as low as possible in order to work properly.

Rad muff/cover is helpful. I started mine up today at -15c this morning. This is my frosty reminder to drop the 15w40 for something more suitable.

Comment

• rbonnett
                  1st Gear
                  • May 2009

Originally posted by stomper
                  Wow, that cold weather really sucks, it was in the 40's this morning up here in Maine today! Bring on the global warming, Maine will be the next Florida!
                  And 68 here in Portland yesterday Made me wish I had held off insulating the soft top.
                  '72 88" - daily driver
                  '64 109 SW - project in waiting

Comment

• badvibes
                    3rd Gear
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gudjeon
                    I also had an in line unit that hooked up with the heater line. This worked OK but you had to mount it as low as possible in order to work properly. I started mine up today at -15c this morning. This is my frosty reminder to drop the 15w40 for something more suitable.
                    I guess I'm leaning toward this type as it sounds easier to install. Had to add oil this AM, I run 20W50, talk about slooow to pour. Like scott mentioned it was @ 13 degrees earlier and isn't supposed to get out of the 30s today, it's 23 right now. At least I have a heater that works good.

Jeff

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Comment

• scott
                      Overdrive
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by rbonnett
                      And 68 here in Portland yesterday Made me wish I had held off insulating the soft top.
                      yak it up you two, albuquerque gets maybe 10 days a year of below freez'n temps. oregon is soggy and i know maine is about to enter it's months long period of dang it's freak'n cold
                      '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• stomper
                        5th Gear
                        • Apr 2007

I wish it were only a month, it is closer to 3-4 months. It has been unusually warm around here, but I think if it weren't for the snakes, I would move to New Mexico too.
                        Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Comment

• gudjeon
                          5th Gear
                          • Oct 2006

We are supposed to go down into the -20's of C for the next while. I am not a huge proponent of synthetics, but I am going to give some 5W50 a try this winter. Normally, I have run with 10w40 for winter and it works well unless it stays below -20c for long. I have to park where I can't plug in so I need something good for cold start up. The gear oils sure hate it when it gets like this. It feels like the park brake is left on for the first mile.

Comment

• scott
                            Overdrive
                            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by gudjeon
                            We are supposed to go down into the -20's of C for the next while. I am not a huge proponent of synthetics, but I am going to give some 5W50 a try this winter. Normally, I have run with 10w40 for winter and it works well unless it stays below -20c for long. I have to park where I can't plug in so I need something good for cold start up. The gear oils sure hate it when it gets like this. It feels like the park brake is left on for the first mile.
                            yea mines a bit slugish at first with the gear oil all thickened but i like the way it makes my driveline feel all tight. i imagine that this is what it must have felt like win it was new
                            '76 Spitfire 1500

Comment

• rbonnett
                              1st Gear
                              • May 2009

If you don't like the weather, just wait...

Originally posted by rbonnett
                              68 to first snow in 72 hours - no wonder my joints ache
                              Last edited by rbonnett; 01-23-2010, 07:35 PM.
                              '72 88" - daily driver
                              '64 109 SW - project in waiting

Comment

Working...