• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by redmondrover
    Removed all the old caulking/sealant along the roof drip rail
    Out of curiosity, how did you remove the caulking? I've been dying for an excuse to buy a sealant cutter attachemnt, shown below, from The Yard Store. I'm wondering if you (or anyone) have used something like this to remove sealant before.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• TJR
      2nd Gear
      • Dec 2006

Finally got around to degreasing the steering box.. WOW .. I had no idea it was cast aluminum... It's always been thoroughly grease covered .. Talbot

Comment

• redmondrover
        1st Gear
        • Nov 2007

Removing sealant from roof drip rail

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
        Out of curiosity, how did you remove the caulking? I've been dying for an excuse to buy a sealant cutter attachemnt, shown below, from The Yard Store. I'm wondering if you (or anyone) have used something like this to remove sealant before.

I wish I had know about this tool. We just chiseled it out with old screwdrivers and a rubber mallet then wire wheel'd the rest.

Comment

• mongoswede
          5th Gear
          • May 2010

Drove my 68 109 out into the sun today and took a ton of photos for the ad in the for sale section. Also spent a bunch of time laying in the Autosparks harness and trying to figure out where everything goes. For the most part I have figured out the connections with the exception of the instrument cluster so....

if anyone has a Series IIA with a relatively stock harness would you be willing to unbolt your instrument cluster and take some photos of the wires connecting to the back so i can compare it to what I have?

Comment

• LaneRover
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

Absolutely nothing. I am in Decatur GA for 2 months or so and my Rovers are in SD and Maine.
            1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
            1965 109 SW - nearly running well
            1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
            1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• Jim-ME
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

After getting hosed on the second supposedly rebuilt bulkhead I'm about ready to sell the entire lot. At the rate I'm spending money on junk I might as well hire Bernie Madoff to buy me a decent one. My money would be safer.
              Jim

Comment

• Winemark
                Low Range
                • Feb 2010

Installed hoop set and soft top. Something of a pain in the ass, not directions to speak of included. You would think for a purchase of just north of a thousand bucks they could toss in some instructions. Alls well that ends well.
                Best,
                Mark

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Winemark
                  Installed hoop set and soft top. Something of a pain in the ass, not directions to speak of included. You would think for a purchase of just north of a thousand bucks they could toss in some instructions. Alls well that ends well.

"Ragtop Install" has recently appeared as a sticky on this forum. Pretty much details the installation of the soft top.
                  --Mark

Comment

• stonefox
                    4th Gear
                    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Jim-ME
                    After getting hosed on the second supposedly rebuilt bulkhead I'm about ready to sell the entire lot. At the rate I'm spending money on junk I might as well hire Bernie Madoff to buy me a decent one. My money would be safer.
                    Jim
                    Were or who are these rebuilds coming from?I'd Like to avoid a potential problem in the future. What made them junk?
                    Sean
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
                    1970 88"
                    1971 88"
                    authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• Winemark
                      Low Range
                      • Feb 2010

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
                      "Ragtop Install" has recently appeared as a sticky on this forum. Pretty much details the installation of the soft top.
                      Actually leaves out a lot of the steps and the pics etc include parts that are not included in the current offering from Rovers North. There are two "U" shaped pieces that have no explaination in the kit. It is way too vague
                      Best,
                      Mark

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                        Overdrive
                        • Apr 2008

Actually leaves out a lot of the steps and the pics etc include parts that are not included in the current offering from Rovers North. There are two "U" shaped pieces that have no explaination in the kit. It is way too vague

Ahh. Is it obvious that I have a hard top?
                        --Mark

Comment

• jac04
                          Overdrive
                          • Feb 2007

The U shaped pieces are for the rear rope tie-downs. The vehicle in the 'sticky' looks like it was set up as a soft top from the factory, so the tie-downs are welded onto the rear galvanized corner pieces. If your vehicle doesn't have the tie-downs, you will need to rivet the U shaped pieces in place.
                          Here are the U shaped pieces on my Lightweight. Not the same as a civvy model, but you get the idea:

Comment

• Winemark
                            Low Range
                            • Feb 2010

Ahh, it is all so clear now. Thanks, I honestly had no idea. Rivet gun out tomorrow along with drill.
                            I appreciate the explanation. This site is so helpful with people of a like mind
                            Pics to follow
                            Best,
                            Mark
                            Best,
                            Mark

Comment

• amcordo
                              5th Gear
                              • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Jim-ME
                              Jim

What happened?

Comment

• siii8873
                                Overdrive
                                • Jul 2007

69 bugeye work

I removed both wings, seat base. A PO had fabricated some rubber mud shields in place of the steel guards in the wheel wells. These were a PITA to remove. Also started working on the fuel system. I first pulled the fuel pump. There was a fair amount of orange gunk in it so I pulled the dip tube and fuel sender. There is a layer of the same orangish gunk in the tank, drained it. This left a kayer of it in the bottom of the tank. The dip tube is void of the screen. Not sure of the best way to clean the tank out (suggestions??). It looks really good otherwise. Think I might better pull the carb also with all this crud in the system. May be the source of my running trouble, engine will idle but as soon as some throttle is applied it stalls. A ton of task to go......
                                Bob
                                THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
                                THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
                                THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
                                THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
                                THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
                                THING 6 - 1954 86" HT

Comment

Working...