X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • glbft1
    1st Gear
    • Dec 2006

best place to mount a cb antenna 2a 109

already have a cb in the truck but want to mount a antenna on the outside, want this with my hard-top and soft top thinking left rear on the back any , experiences etc...and pics of other mounts would be great.
    thanks
    greg
  • KevinNY
    4th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Firestik no ground plane mount kit, http://www.firestik.com/Catalog/NGP_M2.htm I have one mounted on the breakfast on my SIII. Perfect SWR and it solves the issues of poor grounds on the aluminum body.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• Jim-ME
      Overdrive
      • Oct 2006

I've lived with CBs for more years than I can count. As far as I am concerned they are a waste of money. I have never had one last more than 2 years. If you really feel you need one get a handheld but don't bother with a permanent mount.
      Jim

Comment

• KevinNY
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

I've had that mount with a Cobra 75WXST in that truck for 4 years of daily driving and hard wheeling from Moab to Nova Scotia. Handhelds have almost no range and have been largely useless on trail rides I have been on.

Comment

• yorker
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by KevinNY
          I've had that mount with a Cobra 75WXST in that truck for 4 years of daily driving and hard wheeling from Moab to Nova Scotia. Handhelds have almost no range and have been largely useless on trail rides I have been on.

handheld CBs or handhelds (gmrs/frs) in general?
          1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• KevinNY
            4th Gear
            • Oct 2006

Handheld CB's without a truck mounted antenna. FRS are better but then you can't communicate with the people with CB's. To me, a wheeling outing would be incomplete without the CB banter.

Comment

• TeriAnn
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

First thing I did was take a look at where the military mounted antennas on their Land Rovers. It seems they either used the wing tops or the rear side. Since I have a roof rack over the cab front I'm a wing walker and since I occasionally drive brush overgrown trails anything hung on the vehicle side is subject to removal by dense brush. I decided to mount a long antenna on the left rear just below the body cap rails.

First I used a standard ball mount. The way the Series rocks side to side on the trail causes the big whip antenna to swing side to side and after a fairly short time it overwhelmed my ball mount.

I built an aluminum mount based upon the design the military used for their long rear mounted whip antenna. Sorry I don't have any good pictures of the mount. The antenna has been in place for about 10 years now (same CD radio) and the new mount has worked brilliantly. I get a good a range as anyone else, often better, especially out to the front of the vehicle.

This 1997 picture shows the old ball mount. The side to side whipping of the antenna would loosen the mount's nut & the mount would rotate so it was dragging the antenna.

Unfortunately this is the best picture I currently have of the "new" antenna mount. It is basically '7' shaped with the mounting flanges on the inside. The top of the '7' has a stiffening flange on each side to keep everything rigid. No one has asked about my mount so I never got around to shooting a close up of it.

-

Teriann Wakeman_________
              Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

Working...