X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimCT
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

Nitrous

It seems like everyone has tried just about everything here. Has anyone done a mild nitrous system? Just enough to get you over that big ledge?
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR
  • jp-
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Yes, Nitrous comes in handy when you need that extra boost to get you up and over when rock crawling. As a matter of fact, I find that when in low range and using nitrous, my 40:1 ratio actually allows me to go 45mph! The engine does seem to get a little hot though, while continuously running above 6500rpm; but this is no serious problem as my 2.25 has been balanced and blueprinted.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• CliftonRover
      3rd Gear
      • Mar 2007

Could nitrus be a solution for those long vermont hills? Or is it for no more than 10 second bursts. I've seen setups where the nitrus is triggered only when floored, this might not be a good idea as I consistantly floor my 88". The engine is in good shape, i just drive fast.

Comment

• leafsprung
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

If you need more gusto, consider a motor swap.

Comment

• yorker
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

It might be better to think about your 2.25l as a nice tractor engine and your LR when so equipped as a REALLLY FAST 8n tractor.

They weren't geared or engineered with the thought of going very fast or traveling the US interstates. To do so you need to re-engineer a lot, a shot of nitrous isn't really going to accomplish that for you. Get a NP435 and 302 and a Sals rear axle if you want more power.
          1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Mike Koch
            RN Sales Team
            • May 2006

Before altering your Series to boogie any faster than Solihull had in mind, please consider the condition of your brakes.

Mike Koch
            Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
            "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

Comment

• jp-
              5th Gear
              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Mike Koch
              Before altering your Series to boogie any faster than Solihull had in mind, please consider the condition of your brakes.

Mike Koch
              That's what the car in front of you is there for, of course it is considerate to honk first...
              61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
              66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
              66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
              67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
              88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• JimCT
                5th Gear
                • Nov 2006

Not faster....

This has nothing to do with speed. It has to do with momentary HP. Our fully loaded ambulance/camper is fine on teh road, we just take our time, and fine 99% of the time off-road, but every so often there is a situation off-road that coudl use a bit more guts. Seems a tiny shot of nitrous might be easier than lower gears, bigger engines...and all that. I really am talking about probably a second or two of boost.
                1963 Unimog Radio box
                1995 LWB RR

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

I've tried nitrous....once....
                  Jason T.
                  Jason
                  "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Jim,

What other mods have you done to your engine so far? Nitrous would be the last thing I'd try, I think I'd even consider a turbo before Nitrous.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• JimCT
                      5th Gear
                      • Nov 2006

other mods.

Took off the military fan, use an electric fan most of the time, electronic ignition, Weber non-progressive 38/38 carb with K&N air filter, pierce manifold, less restrictive exhaust, Mobil ! in the engine and Red Line in the rest. 255/85-16 Truxus tires.
                      1963 Unimog Radio box
                      1995 LWB RR

Comment

• TeriAnn
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by yorker
                        Jim,
                        What other mods have you done to your engine so far? Nitrous would be the last thing I'd try, I think I'd even consider a turbo before Nitrous.
                        When Land Rover tried a turbo, they quickly realized that it would beat a 3 main engine to death. Hence the introduction of the 5 main 2.25L engine to support a turbo diesel.

The goal should be enough reliable power to allow you to drive where you wish without over stressing the engine.

Personally I thought it was exciting when the engine ran out of power and ground to a stop when doing a steep technical climb in low range first. Especially when I could not see much of the trail behind me because of the high window placement of a lift gate. I got to rely upon the legendary effectiveness of 109 brakes in a steep uphill location. Ah, the adrenalin rush.

I don't get that adrenalin rush so much anymore with front disc brakes and a nice
                        -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                        Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• yorker
                          Overdrive
                          • Nov 2006

less restrictive exhaust
                          how so? what diameter?

I think you've maxed out the real potential, a cam and some head work might be beneficial but $ for $ to get any extreme improvement you are going to be headed towards a different engine.

Disc brakes are great unless you happen to stall and lose vacuum. That is the only situation I've ever been in where I had an issue with them. 109 drums wouldn't have been much better in that situation I expect...
                          With discs I think a vacuum reservoir is a really good idea.
                          Last edited by yorker; 03-17-2007, 01:45 PM.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                            5th Gear
                            • Nov 2006

my 2.25 has no problem whatsoever with the long VT hills. Is that unusual?
                            '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Comment

• yorker
                              Overdrive
                              • Nov 2006

No, you drive an 88, I'd guess you are probably 600-1000lbs lighter than a well loaded ambulance. At least if you consider Jared Ivy's(kingslug) ambulance's weight.
                              A good 2.25 should do OK in an 88.

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

Working...