X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • msggunny
    5th Gear
    • Jan 2007

4.3L

The 4.3 has the same bell housing bolt pattern as a small block chebby if i remember correctly, and the 2.5L has the small block pattern as well. Has anyone confirmed this or tried it? If and when my 2.25 gives up the ghost i want to put a 4.3 V6 in. If that adapter for the 2.25 works it may be the way to go, just got to watch the accelerator!
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• yorker
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

4.3l gas v6 definitely has the 350 aka 90 degree bolt pattern. the 2.5 has the 90 degree or 60 degree pattern depending on usage/date.

4.3 info:

I think I'd swap in a GM tranny with it though. Maybe upgrade the diffs to toyota ones with bits from Seriestrek.com and go to 4.10 diffs.

I know the 4.3 has been put in series Rovers before, so has the 225 V6. Half the fun with rovers are all the different engines people use in them for re-powers. Everyone has their own idea what might be best for their uses. They don't just throw in the ubiquitous 350 SBC.
      Last edited by yorker; 03-19-2007, 08:47 PM.
      1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• northshorelocal
        Low Range
        • Mar 2007

great info but...

This is all great reading but I don't have ****e loads of cash to spare(enough for a 2.5 rebuild and adapter kit basically) and I am not that mechanically inclined to do some of these engine sawps you are all talking of. The 2.5 looked good as it is a pretty simple drop in job with the adapter plate,etc. Any other engines that are a basic drop with with an adapter plate out there that someone selss or is it just the 2.5 GM?

Comment

• yorker
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

With scotties adapters you can "drop in" anything that has the same bolt pattern as a 250- chances are though that whatever you put in will exceed the strength of your transmission. I think that Davis figures they are good for 120 hp, not sure of the torque.

Adapters are also available for the Rover/Buick V8s, they are no powerhouses really but they usually produce more HP than the Tranny should take. A good friend of mine has a 3.5 from a SD1 in his lightweight. He has used it lots, many miles and had no issues- go figure. He is NOT The type of guy who is easy on his stuff. Then again it is a lightweight and not a 109.

Jim Young produces the adapters to "drop in" the Mercedes diesels. I doubt the NA 4cyl will be anything of an improvement over your current 2.25. Drop him an email though to discuss it though: pbs@mohawk.net

Nothing is really a "drop in" proposition- they all entail fabrication and other work that might not be apparent initially.

The Iron Duke 2.5 might be the best option for you, check into the other options out there and then decide for yourself based on your needs.
          1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• Willard
            Low Range
            • Jan 2007

One thing i will note is be careful with a Diesel conversion in a Rover based in British Columbia. If you go that route, check with Transport Canada especially the laws for BC (you still have AirCare i assume) to see if they will have a problem if you go from Gas to Diesel, When i lived there, this was a problem. Might have changed now.

What ever you do go for, I do not think the little 2.25 is an option. the North Shore has some real killer hills and you will need the torque/ power especially if your hauling a trailer. I had a Land Cruiser BJ42 and a few of those hills (Like the one to Cypress Mountain) my top speed was only about 25-35 KMH and that was a 3b Diesel. (tired though) my F150 with the 300 inline six and 4 speed made short work of the same drive.
            Check out with the guys at http://www.roverlanders.bc.ca/ They might have some other ideas for you and maybe some local people.

Comment

• northshorelocal
              Low Range
              • Mar 2007

2.5 LITRE.....

I originally put a post like my original one here on roverlanders.com but I didn't get any responses so I assume they all have 2.25's. Yeah the 2.5 may be the best overall for parts availability and a little more hp just to help out the rover. I am still searching the net for ideas and options out there so we'll see how it goes. I will contact the guy above that has the adapters for the Mercedes conversion. thanks

Comment

Working...