X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broadstone
    2nd Gear
    • Jan 2009

Series III lower dash preservation

I am about to install a new lower dash (lower vent area). Since I am building this truck to survive anything mother nature or mankind can throw at it I need to know how to preserve the inside of this lower dash as best I can. Condensation buildup from the heat blowing through this area obviously takes its toll on the steel over time. I was thinking waxoyling the entire inside, Any other suggestions? Thanks!
    1973 NADA 88
  • kevin-ct
    3rd Gear
    • Oct 2006

Will waxoyling melt with the heat? not sure at what temp it would.

When I installed mine, I just touched up all the scratch's so it wont have any bare metal. If the last one lasted 35 years the new one should also.
    Kevin

04 XJ8
    92 RRC
    02 Benz E320

95 RRC (sold 5/10)
    72 Series 3 (sold 4/10)
    70 Series 2A (sold 6/10)
    Morgan +8 (sold 8/09)
    90 Jetta (308k miles) (sold 5/11)
    72 Triumph Stag (sold 1/08

Comment

• KevinNY
      4th Gear
      • Oct 2006

Just paint it, I think waxoyl would give off a stink with the heat blowing through there.
      The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• msggunny
        5th Gear
        • Jan 2007

Originally posted by KevinNY
        Just paint it, I think waxoyl would give off a stink with the heat blowing through there.
        X2.

POR 15 it and the bulkhead where it mounts first maybe?
        First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
        77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
        Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
        04 DII
        08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• Broadstone
          2nd Gear
          • Jan 2009

I do agree with the heat and the smell so not a great idea to waxoyl. I guess epoxy primer and paint maybe. It is going onto a galvy bulkhead so I know that will stay rust free. After seeing how bad the original was on the inside I want to preserve this as much as possible.
          1973 NADA 88

Comment

• amcordo
            5th Gear
            • Jun 2009

Anyone know where I can find a lower dash assembly? Mine is rusted bad, and the rest of the parts come back from the galvanizer early next week so I need to hurry up and decide if I want to buy one or just go without it...

Comment

• Jim-ME
              Overdrive
              • Oct 2006

Have you tried RDS?
              Jim

Comment

• TJR
                2nd Gear
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Broadstone
                I am about to install a new lower dash (lower vent area). Since I am building this truck to survive anything mother nature or mankind can throw at it I need to know how to preserve the inside of this lower dash as best I can. Condensation buildup from the heat blowing through this area obviously takes its toll on the steel over time. I was thinking waxoyling the entire inside, Any other suggestions? Thanks!
                Good question.. Here's what I learned too.. http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7139

Comment

• kevkon
                  3rd Gear
                  • Aug 2009

I recently had my SIII dash apart to recover. I found some surface rust, but nothing to extensive. As rust and corrosion are popular topics on the forum, I think it's important to remember that no coating will be an absolute form of protection against corrosion if there is an infiltration of moisture and no means for it to evaporate. What I'm saying is that when you encounter a situation where corrosion is present, don't think only in terms of coating the metal. Look to see if there is some way to increase the ability for any water/moisture to drain and for airflow to be increased.
                  94 D-90 tdi
                  72 Series III

Comment

Working...