Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broadstone
    2nd Gear
    • Jan 2009

i see the 2-2A windscreen hinges is that something you replaced or is it an older bulkhead you are converting to SIII?
    1973 NADA 88

Comment

• amcordo
      5th Gear
      • Jun 2009

It was a series 3 bulkhead. Or at least, I assume it was because it had the distribution boxes. Didn't know I had goofy hinges!

Comment

• Terrys
        Overdrive
        • May 2007

Originally posted by amcordo
        It was a series 3 bulkhead. Or at least, I assume it was because it had the distribution boxes. Didn't know I had goofy hinges!
        It was a S2A bulkhead that someone butchered. Shame Shame.

Comment

• LH Drive
          2nd Gear
          • Oct 2006

Are you guys sure it was a S2A bulkhead? In the picture I see the S3 upper dash mounting lip thats used to mount the S3 padded dash. Maybe the S3 bulkhead windscreen mounts were swaped. I plan to do the same and use a S2A windscreen on my S3 bulkhead soon.
          1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Comment

• SafeAirOne
            Overdrive
            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by LH Drive
            Are you guys sure it was a S2A bulkhead? In the picture I see the S3 upper dash mounting lip thats used to mount the S3 padded dash. Maybe the S3 bulkhead windscreen mounts were swaped. I plan to do the same and use a S2A windscreen on my S3 bulkhead soon.
            Plus, it's got the holes for the SIII-style door checks, not door check tubes like on pre SIIIs...

BUT the door hinge anchors aren't spire nuts like on the SIII so...

it must therefore be the bulkhead off a 1974 Lotus Elite II.
            --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
            (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• mongoswede
              5th Gear
              • May 2010

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
              Plus, it's got the holes for the SIII-style door checks, not door check tubes like on pre SIIIs...

BUT the door hinge anchors aren't spire nuts like on the SIII so...

it must therefore be the bulkhead off a 1974 Lotus Elite II.

I concur.

Comment

• amcordo
                5th Gear
                • Jun 2009

Keep in mind this is an image after I removed the S3 padded dash boxes (upper and lower). There's a weld where those windscreen hinges are attached. Could it be a S3 that had an S2 windscreen attached? Finally, I don't see where the S2 boxes would have been attached. There's metal is smooth where those would have been welded on.

The front windscreen I have is kinda redic - a PO tried to make it a single piece of glass rather than two. Then the most recent PO cut a relief cut down the middle of the glass and glued on a strip of metal to make it look original. And of course the glass cracked in a corner where there was strain.

Comment

• LH Drive
                  2nd Gear
                  • Oct 2006

Yes, its amazing how much room the S3 distribution box takes up. I started working on my S2A dash conversion. Its been a while since I sandblasted my bulkhead and I'm starting to get surface rust. I'll have to wire wheel it off when I'm done as its getting hot dip galvanized.
                  I was not sure what to do with the center S3 bulkhead hump. After reviewing that I'll no longer have a use for it I decided to cut it off to mount the S2A metal dash I picked up. I still have to carve the S2A dash from the remains of the bulkhead sheet metal as I also need to make room for the S3 wiper motor. This is turning out to be quite a project but in the end I'm sure I'll be happy as I never did like all the S3 plastic.
                  Do you plan to fab some kind of dash tray to hide the electrical wires? A guy from Panama did this to his S3. I'll see if i can find the site so you can look at what he did.
                  1972 NAS Series 88 SW

Comment

• amcordo
                    5th Gear
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LH Drive
                    Yes, its amazing how much room the S3 distribution box takes up. I started working on my S2A dash conversion. Its been a while since I sandblasted my bulkhead and I'm starting to get surface rust. I'll have to wire wheel it off when I'm done as its getting hot dip galvanized.
                    I was not sure what to do with the center S3 bulkhead hump. After reviewing that I'll no longer have a use for it I decided to cut it off to mount the S2A metal dash I picked up. I still have to carve the S2A dash from the remains of the bulkhead sheet metal as I also need to make room for the S3 wiper motor. This is turning out to be quite a project but in the end I'm sure I'll be happy as I never did like all the S3 plastic.
                    Do you plan to fab some kind of dash tray to hide the electrical wires? A guy from Panama did this to his S3. I'll see if i can find the site so you can look at what he did.

Yes to hiding the wires. I'll hide most of them in the engine bay when I get around to really cleaning the truck up. If you've got a link I'd love to see it!

Comment

Working...