X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rejeep
    4th Gear
    • Apr 2010

Gearbox oil leak

I cant pinpoint where this leak is coming from..
    Ever since I changed my gearbox oil I am getting a leak that looks like its dripping down the side of the case...

I did not overfill it, and even removed the fill plug to double check.
    1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
    1974 SIII 109" RHD
  • KevinNY
    4th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by rejeep
    I cant pinpoint where this leak is coming from..
    Ever since I changed my gearbox oil I am getting a leak that looks like its dripping down the side of the case...

I did not overfill it, and even removed the fill plug to double check.
    Odds are it is coming from the vent hole on top of the gearbox. Leaks a bit especially after a fill and in hot weather.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• rejeep
      4th Gear
      • Apr 2010

should I check for blockage or it will just weep for a bit?
      1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• KevinNY
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

It's just going to weep. Some folk have gone to great lengths with extended breathers etc. but I just let it rustproof my crossmember.
        The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• jac04
          Overdrive
          • Feb 2007

Other usual suspects are the selector shaft seals and the seals for the shifter detent springs. Both of these will leak down the side of the gearbox.

Comment

• rejeep
            4th Gear
            • Apr 2010

Originally posted by jac04
            Other usual suspects are the selector shaft seals and the seals for the shifter detent springs. Both of these will leak down the side of the gearbox.

can you explain a bit more..
            the selector shaft seals I can picture.. Im at a loss as to the detent springs?

sorry noob
            1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• SafeAirOne
              Overdrive
              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by rejeep
              can you explain a bit more..
              the selector shaft seals I can picture.. Im at a loss as to the detent springs?

A=Selector shafts/seals
              B=Detent ball seals

With transmission top cover on:

With Transmission top cover off. Note that the detent balls are there, but the springs and seals are removed. The detent seals are the same setup as the selector seals and fit in the groove on the edge of the transmission:
              --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Lalo88DK
                1st Gear
                • Nov 2009

A non-leaky Land Rover gearbox, tells you that there is no oil in the gearbox, and it is now time to refill, once again.

Remember that a Land Rover does not drip oil, it marks its territory.

Leaky engine and gearbox, also called sling greasing, is a concept invented by the English to prevent rust in the undercarriage and works as you drive, it took them years to develop.

Sorry I couldn't help it. To be honest, It's a very rare sight to see a non-leaky Series Land Rover gearbox or engine, and if it doesn't it's usually only for at short time, after you spent hours changing the oil seals, I do know a guy who brags about his Land Rover doesn't leak, but he doesn't drive it either.

Comment

• rejeep
                  4th Gear
                  • Apr 2010

SAFEAIR...
                  thanks for the post... that will really help..
                  I did the rear output seal today and rebuilt the handbrake since there wasnt much left of it anyway.. pars of the adjuster were broken and sitting at the bottom of the drum..

I think I will go after the shaft and detent seals next week..
                  1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

I came to grips with the fact that these things are going to leak somewhere, hence my screen name....
                    You can either spend time chasing your tail or just have fun and drive the thing.
                    Jason
                    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• NickDawson
                      5th Gear
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                      I came to grips with the fact that these things are going to leak somewhere, hence my screen name....
                      You can either spend time chasing your tail or just have fun and drive the thing.
                      Im of the same mind - and not because I have the expertise of "I Leak Oil" but because trying to solve the leaks is just too darned frustrating...

An oil leak from the gearbox could easily be the real main seal too - just migrating backwards (and as others have said, rust proofing everything). Breather is also likely.

Keep 'em topped up and enjoy driving it.

Comment

• rejeep
                        4th Gear
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by NickDawson
                        Im of the same mind - and not because I have the expertise of "I Leak Oil" but because trying to solve the leaks is just too darned frustrating...

An oil leak from the gearbox could easily be the real main seal too - just migrating backwards (and as others have said, rust proofing everything). Breather is also likely.

Keep 'em topped up and enjoy driving it.
                        IM not opposed to that. god knows I have owned enough trucks in my life where this is the case...

But I am 100% certain its the gearbox and to get more familiar with these truck the best way is tear into them..

Believe me.. after doing it once, im not looking forward to doing it again..
                        1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• dabawei
                          Low Range
                          • Dec 2011

Hello,
                          I am tracing the oil leak in S2a transmission after getting oil pond of size 2x3 feets through one month of stop during Summar (45C) suspecting worn part is their.

Clean the gearbox/transfercase and fill it with oil "140" I found the front and back of transfer case is dropping the newly added oil. The question here are these leak due to O seal? Are replacing would stop the leak?

(My plan to repair worn and leave design matter; therefore, 1st week fill the transmission with oil, clean the outside serface and monitor any leak for a week (currently in it), 2nd week drive it at low speed and monitor leak source, 3rd week drive it at full speed+overdrive and monitor the leak).

Looking for hint on transfer case leak. Thanks.

Comment

• jcadwell
                            Low Range
                            • Sep 2014

Most of our local auto parts stores sell UV dye and a UV magnifying light. Pour a bit of dye into the oil, drive around, and take a look. It is magical for finding stuff like this.

Comment

• 80sailor
                              Low Range
                              • Feb 2014

I'd be afraid that my engine bay would look like a cheap hotel room under a black light.

Scary.

Comment

Working...