X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • crankin
    5th Gear
    • Jul 2008

Replacing Felt washers

Is there a trick to get the felt washers to fit in nicely? I am in the process of replacing my handbrake and I am having a booger of a time getting the felt washers to slide in nicely. I am almost thinking about throwing it up there and letting the washer squash in down...

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

Which felt washers? The ones on either side of the handbrake cross shaft bushings or the ones on the end of the axles? I had no trouble with the handbrake shaft bushings, but I have found that some axle felt washers are very poor fitting. Maybe try a different source. They will all stick out a little and need to be crushed down by the washer.

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

I suspect it's the felt seal that goes on the splined output shaft, under the propshaft flange wahser and nut.

Mine was tough to fit too, but once it started I could kind of force it down with the nut and washer. It seems to get compressed by the nut and washer somewhat once in place, causing it to fatten, making a seal (at least mine appeared to).
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• crankin
        5th Gear
        • Jul 2008

Yeah, its the one on the hand brake. I didn't have a problem with the ones on the axles...

I guess I just need to work with them.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Comment

• jac04
          Overdrive
          • Feb 2007

Yeah, you need to put them in and make sure they stay aligned when it all goes together. I remember that mine 'extruded' out past the retainers a little when eveything was tightened up.

Comment

Working...