Think Im going to take the plunge. Anyone from Indianapolis?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpasiczn
    Low Range
    • Jan 2010

I dont want to rush into this, but Ive found one on ebay that looks like it could be a winner. It has a new galv frame (~3k by itself), so even if theres some more work to do, this could be a killer deal, right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Resto...#ht_500wt_1182

Comment

• Rineheitzgabot
      4th Gear
      • Jun 2008

John,

I would be wary about that one. For the money, I would say it is a good deal (if sold for $3500, or less), if the buyer is vey mechanically inclined, and knows their way around a Series pretty well. It is certainly not a piece of junk, but it always makes my nervous when someone sells one halfway through a resto. The reason it makes me nervous is that who knows what parts he lost or destroyed that the buyer would be left to replace. For a person who doesn't know their way around a Series, said parts would be discovered with much trial and error. Like jeez, I don't know why my brakes don't work (because little do you know, the adjusters are missing, and only after lots of headaches do you figure out why).

All of the "fresh" paint everywhere makes me nervous as well. This is the kind of thing a person does during a resto that doesn't know what they're doing everywhere else, so they rely on the fresh paint to give them that "freshly restored" feeling-just my opinion. Why waste time repainting the gear shift lever silver? Okay, if it is really in need of paint, for God's sake, use black. EVERYTHING has new paint on it; whether it be overspray or intentional. This may suggest craftsmanship-levels, in other areas. What's up with the poorly painted, green fuel tank as well? Again, why not black? I get uneasy about the kind of craftsmanship that would be present in other, non-visible parts of the truck-like the brakes, or axles or something.

Perhaps the guy is not familiar with this market, but he would be able to get considerably more money if he would just finish the darn thing. Why stop where he is? He's probably got probably a couple more busy months to finish it. I know, I saw the thing about the motorcycle, but really? Brother's leavin' all kinds of money on the table, for the fact that he can't wait to get the Moto-bike workin' again. Perhaps I'm full of it.

I do not want to put the person down who is selling it. That is not my intent (nor should it be perceived that way). I am just saying that you stated earlier that you are new to this, and I think you may burn your self out, before you get a chance to enjoy it.

I would suggest that you keep looking. If money is an issue, get one that runs and drives already, then improve what you have, rather than starting behind the 8-ball, so to speak.

Also, why does he care what freight carrier the buyer uses (a friend, or his own company?)

You asked for our opinions!

Hope this helps.

-Gary
      "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Comment

• czenkov
        1st Gear
        • Sep 2008

The odd paint colors on various pieces is an interesting choice. Be sure you can live with silver axles etc. Tearing them out for a repaint might be a pain. Find on for $5k that runs and moves that is in one piece. Missing pieces or even present but not attached could be a real challenge to someone who is new to these (myself included).
        1960 88" SII Pliny the Elder
        1997 D-90
        "Fear profits man, nothing"

Comment

• jpasiczn
          Low Range
          • Jan 2010

Gary
          I completely agree with a lot of what you said. I am always wary of brand new paint over an unfinished resto. I appreciate your "honest opinion. I like hearing contrarian points of view about something Im excited for. Keeps me grounded to a certain extent. I agree that I may be better off with something that drives and has a solid frame, and then build it up from there, rather than risk getting into a can of worms.

Comment

Working...