• Oct 2006

Well said Jason.
    Jim

Comment

• yorker
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Billy5
      Aluminum/steel combo, never is a good thing. Turns into a battery disimilar metals..unless you isolate the two.

Well you'll get used to that with a LR, particularly on LI.

As a rule LR people are different too, not a big deal really. I mean it isn't like you have to deal with the wierdos, but it seems like there is more than our share out there in the LR community. I don't know how to describe it but IMHO the LR community is way different than the TLC or Willys Flat Fender, or Mil. Veh. community.
      1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• thixon
        5th Gear
        • Jul 2007

Yorker,

The weirdest bunch I've ever encountered as a whole as the full size jeep pack. I've never had a more frustrating experience selling a truck in my life. To them, nothing is work more than 2500 bucks.
        Travis
        '66 IIa 88

Comment

• Billy5
          1st Gear
          • Aug 2010

well that sounds like a guy with experience! Rust rust and more rust. As for weirdos, hey i work in a boatyard, that should sum it up ( as I laugh ). I am not looking to rock crawl, or go shooting off giant hills. But the trails look fun as anything. As far as pricing goes, my opinion is you never will get back what you put in. That goes for boats as well. What would be a good deal for both parties for a good foundation? Meaning clean frame, no rust. I am not looking for show room. Just a clean, straight, mechanically sound truck. I am not afraid of maintenence. Parts I can see so far are much more reasonable. For example a new frame i saw is around 2g. Its four or better for an fj. So i have started my hunt. I am getting alot from this forum. Everyone has been so helpful. I hope to return the favor.
          1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Comment

• artpeck
            3rd Gear
            • Dec 2009

One more thing to add that may or may not matter.

I first became acquainted with land rovers in the early 80s doing a stint in southern Africa. When you have been around them where they are consistently used under very marginal conditions you understand both the merit of their engineering, quirks and all, and the soul and heritage behind the marque. With so many cars and trucks today being souless bland blobs with model names generated by an ad agency there is something at a minimum endearing about the history and heritage. Might not matter to some but suspect it does to many.

And in agreeing to keep one running you are in a small way preserving some history that would otherwise be lost.

My four kids (24-17) all of whom drive modern cars as their daily drivers find my defender way cool and the new series addition even cooler. There is information in that data.

My two cents.
            1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
            1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
            1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Comment

• stonefox
              4th Gear
              • Jul 2010

[QUOTE=artpeck;58312]

And in agreeing to keep one running you are in a small way preserving some history that would otherwise be lost.

QUOTE]
              Art ,you banged it right there.
              I feel like I'm the "Keeper" for the next generation of over obssesive, fanatical, landrover junky. I hope they treat it the same way when I'm gone and they become the next "Keeper".
              Sean
              ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
              1970 88"
              1971 88"
              authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• Billy5
                1st Gear
                • Aug 2010

Thats a very good way of putting it. Keeping tradition going. I must say, as i look, theres not a lot for sale. Which says something to the series. That ones that have them, dont part with them. Which in a way is comforting. As of now, I am liking the 109s, for the size. But as I filter through, read and research, that may change. My only downfall is as much as i would like to, I cannot drive one as no one has one, anywhere near me. My friend sold his, and is restoring his new one. In the end whats the worst thing that could happen?
                1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Comment

Working...