X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • byrondesign
    Low Range
    • Jul 2010

Coil Sprung Special Question

I have an 88 with a seriuosly rusted chassis so it's time to do a frame up. Coil sprung specials are popular in England, has anyone in North America done one? Does anyone know if the Disco 1 suspension and axle parts will bolt onto a Marslands Defender 90 NAS chassis? Does anyone know if Richards or Marslands will do custom chassis building with late IIA outriggers and bulk head mounts and coil sprung suspension mounts?

Any info appreciated!

Byron
    Vista, CA
  • lrdukdog
    3rd Gear
    • Nov 2006

chassis

Check here http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/topic/6386 this may or maynot help
    Jim Wolf

Comment

• siiirhd88
      3rd Gear
      • Oct 2006

I know of a couple of coil sprung SWB in the U.S. that are using a chassis made by the English firm Designa Chassis. In both cases the trucks used a Series type steering relay and had the recessed breakfast position as stock. I know one of the major Rover parts places used to be the U.S. contact for the company, but I don't see the chassis listed on their web site at this time.

The Disco I bits should bolt up to a D90 chassis, as will the bulkhead from a SIIA or SIII. The wheelbase of the D90 is actually about 93", with the extra length at the tub. Since the tub is longer on a D90 than it is on an 88, your tub won't fit without modifications.

If you are a good fabricator you could always add the Series body outriggers and mounts to a RR or Disco I chassis......

If I were going to build a Series coiler I would try to find a Designa Chassis, make whatever mods I wanted, and than have it regalvanized.

Bob
      '02 Disco II SD
      '80 SIII 109
      '75 SIII 88 V8
      '68 SIIA 109 V8

Comment

• byrondesign
        Low Range
        • Jul 2010

Thanks Guys

Found a couple of good links through the Guns And Rovers webpages and looked up the Designa website and they seem to offer what I'm looking for. Sent off an inquiry and will await pricing info.

Cheers!

Byron
        Vista, CA

Comment

• KevinNY
          4th Gear
          • Oct 2006

I can't understand why Designa does not have a US distributor. There is plenty of interest and I think they would sell a good number. Most US series trucks are either in need of or already have been frame swapped and there are plenty of Disco 1 and RRC axles and suspensions laying around cheap too.
          The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

ECR used to be their exclusive US distributor if I remember right. Perhaps it's still tied up with them? Doesn't make sense not to have a distrubutor here who wants to do business.
            Jason
            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• msggunny
              5th Gear
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
              Doesn't make sense not to have a distrubutor here who wants to do business.
              COUGH "take note RN" COUGH, COUGH.......
              First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
              77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
              Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
              04 DII
              08 D3 (LR3)

Comment

• LR Max
                3rd Gear
                • Feb 2010

Check Rovers Down South. I think he either had defender chassis with axles and suspension or series specific stuff.

I wish I had gone with a coiler chassis when I did my swap. It'll ride like a champ.

Comment

• yorker
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• mongoswede
                    5th Gear
                    • May 2010

A friend of mine shortened a disco chassis for me down to an 88" wheelbase. It uses disco axles, steering etc. The project has been on hold until I finish the "other" 88" project. Cost wise it was no more or less than buying a Designa chassis and shipping to the USA.

I'd like to take a disco or rangie chassis in the future and put the series body work on it. Line the rear tub up appropriately with the rear wheels and then build a deeper cab as the disco wheelbase is 12" longer....making a more useable.

Comment

• scatterling
                      1st Gear
                      • Dec 2006

Originally posted by msggunny
                      COUGH "take note RN" COUGH, COUGH.......
                      x2.
                      Neil Hanekom
                      '73 LHD 88
                      '75 FFR 109 exMOD Build Photo's
                      '99 D1

Comment

• EdH
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2006

There has been talk of a group buy. Count me in.

Comment

• amcordo
                          5th Gear
                          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by EdH
                          There has been talk of a group buy. Count me in.

Me too.

Comment

• JDLalama
                            Low Range
                            • Dec 2010

Disco Axle Swap

Originally posted by KevinNY
                            I can't understand why Designa does not have a US distributor. There is plenty of interest and I think they would sell a good number. Most US series trucks are either in need of or already have been frame swapped and there are plenty of Disco 1 and RRC axles and suspensions laying around cheap too.
                            So, will Discovery axles fit (line up) under a Series III without any modification in reference to the overhang past the body while having the pumpkins still line up with the drive shafts. I am asking because when the time comes to do a frame swap (Haven't decided leaf or coil) would I want to do a front brake disc conversion or start shopping for a used Disco 1 for it's axles to put under my SIII?
                            Last edited by JDLalama; 01-02-2011, 01:34 AM. Reason: More Information
                            1974 Series III 88 RHD
                            19?? Series IIA 88 LHD (parts)

Comment

• mongoswede
                              5th Gear
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by JDLalama
                              So, will Discovery axles fit (line up) under a Series III without any modification in reference to the overhang past the body while having the pumpkins still line up with the drive shafts. I am asking because when the time comes to do a frame swap (Haven't decided leaf or coil) would I want to do a front brake disc conversion or start shopping for a used Disco 1 for it's axles to put under my SIII?
                              The only noticeable differences are that the rangy/disco axles are 3.54:1 vs 4.77:1 ring and pinion ratios...disc brakes front and rear.....and they are a bit wider than series axles. They should work in a coiler frame but need some work to fit them to a leafer frame.

Comment

Working...