X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ron thompson
    Low Range
    • Aug 2009

Series 3 Sunscreen

Although this looks to be a very simple job, and before I attempt it, I wanted to see if anyone has ever removed the sunscreen portion of a roof from the actual tropical roof on a Series Rover? My roof doesn't have vents, just the sunshield.

I'm looking to have only the upper skin painted (removed off truck) but didn't want to get into a nut and bolt alignment issue when putting back together, losing parts into the interior of the headliner or God knows what else could happen on something that looks like it would take 10 minutes, Thanks
  • LaneRover
    Overdrive
    • Oct 2006

To answer your question directly, I have no idea how many alignment or parts dropping off issues you will have.

Unless you are trying to paint the underneath wouldn't be easier to mask off the rest of the top rather than take off the sun sheet?

If where you are painting won't fit the entire vehicle what about just taking the whole top off?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• lrdukdog
      3rd Gear
      • Nov 2006

Roof

Be perpared to deal with thousands of pop rivets, ok probably just hundreds of them.
      Jim Wolf

Comment

• ron thompson
        Low Range
        • Aug 2009

Thanks, The main roof is Limestone. I'm actually painting the sun sheet white, to match the wheels. The truck is in immaculate condition inside and out so I'm trying to do it the right way and detach the sun sheet, paint both sides, even though no one will see the underneath. If it was one of my other Rovers I'd stand on a ladder with a can of white spray paint in the wind and have at it. Oh well. Thanks for the reply

Comment

• Wander
          2nd Gear
          • Jan 2010

I've got the same set up on an 88 but I don't have the headliner and can see the numerous attachments. As it's so flat I think the alignment won't be terrible-just take care not to flex it off the truck. It will a tedious job but the worst part will be getting to the middle attahcments. Mine was obviously taken off at some point as it has bolts in place of the rivets. I'm guessing the way it channels wind caused the rivets to come loose.

How about painting the wheels limestone? Seems like a much easier solution.
          64 IIa 88
          94 Discovery
          06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
          --------------------------------------------
          "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Comment

• LaneRover
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Wander
            How about painting the wheels limestone? Seems like a much easier solution.
            I hate to say it but to match the top to the wheels correctly this may be the best way.
            1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
            1965 109 SW - nearly running well
            1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
            1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• SafeAirOne
              Overdrive
              • Apr 2008

I thought somebody on this board did it. IIRC, there are a million rivets or spot welds holding the sheet to the z channels underneath.

Oh...Here's a reference by somebody else who either did it or tried to do it:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Eric W S
                5th Gear
                • Dec 2006

Originally posted by LaneRover
                I hate to say it but to match the top to the wheels correctly this may be the best way.

x3. White top would look a bit odd as would white wheels...

Comment

• ron thompson
                  Low Range
                  • Aug 2009

Thanks for this info. Very enlightening. I did think about painting the wheels but thought maybe the sun sheet "just popped off in 10 minutes", hahaha. Oh well this was helpful. Thanks

Comment

Working...