Clear All
  • RoverForm
    3rd Gear
    • Jul 2010

Originally posted by leafsprung
    Problems with RR:

A) unreliable
    B) incapable of hauling much in the way of parts
    C) fru-fru interior (just set that salsbury on the leather)
    D) unreliable
    i know... i know...

but i could never validate buying/owning an REO speedwagon.

Comment

• leafsprung
      Overdrive
      • Nov 2006

its easy to validate. Have something to haul? Get an REO.

Comment

• amcordo
        5th Gear
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LR Max
        What engine is in your 2500HD?

I've used my dad's Yukon Denali to haul the 109 a few times. That Yukon just has the LQ4 in it. Not a diesel but it got the job done. Also considering my 109 needs towing once every 2 years, its fine.

It's got the eight cylinder 6.0L Vortec 6000. I didn't jump for the diesel because the gas milage is about the same. Plus I'm more comfortable with doing basic/intermediate maintenance on a gasoline engine.

Comment

• amcordo
          5th Gear
          • Jun 2009

Originally posted by msggunny
          Awesome 109.....

O, Amcordo. Im sure trying to drive 315 in that thing with either master out must be loads of fun, especially around the OSU exits around 330....

It was terrible driving from just north of campus on Olentangy River Road all the way down to the Arena District (where the Ohio Penn. used to be). I hit every red light and drove the whole damned way in second gear.

... that's all right next to 315 though, so good call!

Comment

• RoverForm
            3rd Gear
            • Jul 2010

Originally posted by leafsprung
            its easy to validate. Have something to haul? Get an REO.
            i'd have to haul something significant at least once a week to validate that kind of perchase. and since i don't, i can't.

and wouldn't they be difficult to come by nowadays?

*official thread hijack...

found something similar. http://www.antiquecar.com/index/listings/page27028.htm
            Price $2,350.00
            Make REO Model F22 Gold Comet
            Year 1943

Comment

• Lalo88DK
              1st Gear
              • Nov 2009

Originally posted by amcordo
              In both cases the truck limped home on its own, but for my own safety I'm going to disagree with you. It sure would have been nice to tow the thing instead of the crazy driving I had to do to to get home!
              I wouldn't have the courage to limp home if the brakes were not working .
              But if you check the reservoirs daily (I do, engine oil, and coolant level too ) you usually can tell, if there's a problem with either the Clutch cylinders or Brake cylinders before they give in completely. Another way to tell there is something wrong is, that there often will be small drips of fluid on the pedals/floor.
              And remember don't use Britparts when it comes to Clutch and brake cylinders, because you then have to do it all over again, guess how I found out In Europe Britparts is often called Shi......
              Last edited by Lalo88DK; 11-25-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

• LaneRover
                Overdrive
                • Oct 2006

In High School my Dad yelled at me for driving my Volkswagen when it required a pump to firm up the brakes, so I DEFINITELY didn't tell him when my brakes went out and I drove it like that for 2 weeks!

FYI - I tend not to do that now.

I did drive from LA to SD with no headlights at night and in the rain.
                1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• amcordo
                  5th Gear
                  • Jun 2009

Duh.

Mine failed without any warning though. The clutch MC reservoir was full, and I had driven it an hour before with no issue. One minute I've got a clutch, the next I don't.

In any case, I wasn't trying to start a discussion about whether the truck is reliable over all. Just point out my dedication to it.

Originally posted by Lalo88DK
                  I wouldn't have the courage to limp home if the brakes were not working .
                  But if you check the reservoirs daily (I do, engine oil, and coolant level too ) you usually can tell, if there's a problem with either the Clutch cylinders or Brake cylinders before they give in completely. Another way to tell there is something wrong is, that there often will be small drips of fluid on the pedals/floor.
                  And remember don't use Britparts when it comes to Clutch and brake cylinders, because you then have to do it all over again, guess how I found out In Europe Britparts is often called Shi......

Comment

• amcordo
                    5th Gear
                    • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LaneRover
                    In High School my Dad yelled at me for driving my Volkswagen when it required a pump to firm up the brakes, so I DEFINITELY didn't tell him when my brakes went out and I drove it like that for 2 weeks!

FYI - I tend not to do that now.

I did drive from LA to SD with no headlights at night and in the rain.

Ha. Don't tell your insurance company either!

Comment

Working...