X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adventuris1
    Low Range
    • Aug 2010

converting rhd to lhd

hi , redoing a 80 series iii diesel its rhd want to make it left hand how bad of a job is it .
  • mrdoiron
    4th Gear
    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by adventuris1
    hi , redoing a 80 series iii diesel its rhd want to make it left hand how bad of a job is it .
    Not sure myself, but why bother... for the money I'd put it into other upgrades... pretty easy to get used to RHD...

2cents

mike
    ---------------------------
    1961 Ser IIa Hybrid Defender
    1969 Ser IIa Bugeye
    1980 Ser III Lightweight 24V RHD- sold
    1988 LR90 turbo diesel RHD - currently frame off rebuild in progress
    1998 Disco - ex wife :-(
    2000 Disco - RIP , end over end 2.5 times
    2010 RR Sport Supercharged

http://mikerovers.shutterfly.com/

Comment

• rejeep
      4th Gear
      • Apr 2010

In my mind I wouldnt want to drive an old rover any other way...

way cooler and the only downside is drive through...
      1971 SIIa 88" NAS Dauntles V6
      1974 SIII 109" RHD

Comment

• siiirhd88
        3rd Gear
        • Oct 2006

If your front chassis crossmember doesn't have the hole and mount for the steering relay, the job will require cutting and welding to relocate the mount. The rest of the conversion is not difficult, and the LHD mechanical parts should be readily available. The real problem with converting a SIII is locating the padded dash pieces in good condition, as they tend to rust badly.

The steering relay will need to be relocated to the left side of the front chassis crossmember. You will need to replace the steering box and column, but it will mount to the existing left side bulkhead support. The column to dash mounts can be reused. You can reuse the RHD steering links from the steering box to the relay, and from the relay to the swivel ball. You will need a LHD steering arm for the right side swivel ball.

The pedal boxes can be swapped to the left side of the bulkhead, but you might need to cut the retangular pedal openings and drill the bolt holes in the bulkhead. Some trucks have the openings already cut out and blanked off. New brake and clutch pipes will have to be fabricated back to the junction. You will need to replace the throttle pedal assembly and linkage with LHD parts as they are completely different, but some bits can be modified for reuse.

The LHD heater box has the hose connections on the opposite side, but if you want to run longer coolant hoses the RHD heater can be reused. It will mount where the RHD steering column passed thru the bulkhead. The RHD heater fan blows the wrong way, so a LHD heater fan is needed. You will need to cut the hole in the right wing for the heater fan inlet.

The upper padded dash can be reused, but you will need to swap the end pieces, including the heater cable controls to LHD parts. You will need to drill holes and attach the instrument panel mount to the left side of the upper dash steel support. The entire lower padded dash will need swapped, as it has openings for the heater plenum and steering column.

I'm sure I am forgetting something, but I've only swaped from LHD to RHD to make space for the V8.

I wouldn't swap, but then I don't mind driving RHD.

Bob
        '02 Disco II SD
        '80 SIII 109
        '75 SIII 88 V8
        '68 SIIA 109 V8

Comment

• RoverForm
          3rd Gear
          • Jul 2010

i agree that RHD is the only way to drive a rover. drove a nice LHD SIIa 88 once and it just felt wrong.

haven't done a conversion myself, but when i was looking to buy my second rover, i considered getting a LHD, then converting it to RHD. after all the research i came to find that the cost was the same as purchasing a decent RHD. so that's what i did instead.

but if you decide to do it, i have a LHD steering column available.

Comment

• adventuris1
            Low Range
            • Aug 2010

owner wants it lhd so i will be converting it

Comment

Working...