X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siii8873
    Overdrive
    • Jul 2007

Engine storage

I have an engine that I had the crank ground and new crank bearings.
    I alubbed the crank journals and bearing with copious amounts of oil at install. The engine will not be installed for a few months. What is the best way to take care of this idle engine in the mean time.
    My thought is to add some oil to the cylinders and turn it over by hand a few times every couple of weeks.
    BTW anyone have the dog on the front of the engine that the hand crank engages into? My engine has a bolt installed there.
    THING 1 - 1973 88 SIII - SOLD
    THING 2 -1974 88 SIII Daily Driver - SOLD
    THING 3 - 1969 88 SIIA Bugeye Project
    THING 4 - 1971 109 SIIA ExMod - SOLD
    THING 5 - 1958 109 PU
    THING 6 - 1954 86" HT
  • jac04
    Overdrive
    • Feb 2007

For a few months you will probably be fine just letting it sit. However, it certainly wouldn't hurt to make sure it is filled (or even slightly over-filled) with fresh oil and oiling the cylinders & turning it over.

Comment

• JimCT
      5th Gear
      • Nov 2006

Fogging oil

Go to a marine outboard motor place and get a can of spray fogging oil, turn the engine over as spray into the spark plug holes.
      1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
      1963 Unimog Radio box
      1995 LWB RR

Comment

• Cutter
        4th Gear
        • Feb 2009

You can get fogging spray at any automotive store usually, I use it on our motorcycles each year. Not sure if it will be sitting long enough to warrant it, and I thought fogging was mostly for the carbs but not a bad idea.

Comment

• LaneRover
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

I am sure that someone on the forum would agree to temporarily keep it in their Rover for you and even to use it occasionally to keep the fluids moving around!
          1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
          1965 109 SW - nearly running well
          1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
          1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• gudjeon
            5th Gear
            • Oct 2006

Unless you leave it out in the rain, it sounds like you will be all right with your plan. When you go to fire it up, disable the ignition and crank with the starter until the oil pressure builds. Then when it gets fired up for the first time, oil will be present presto! They run in oil all their lives - so this should not be anything new.

Comment

Working...