• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stonefox
    4th Gear
    • Jul 2010

Frame bushings

Friends,
    Upon getting back my frame from the Galvinizer,I have to reream the frame bushes.The replacments are 1.196 -1.198. How much under size should they be to be tight but not impossible to install.Does anybody have the factory spec or have a frame with out one in it? I'm thinking 1.1875 or 1 3/16. thanx
    Sean
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

1963 88'' IIa daily driver
    1970 88"
    1971 88"
    authenticstoneworks.com
  • I Leak Oil
    Overdrive
    • Nov 2006

Never thought of it before and I don't know what the answer is. .009" sounds like a lot for a press fit on those though.
    Jason
    "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• Mountain132
      Low Range
      • Apr 2008

Do yourself a favor and go poly. I had the same problem and spent days trying to get the factory bushings in. I got the 2 rear and only 1 front in. I had to find someone with 1 poly bushing for the front. I was snapping 1/2 grade 8 bolts trying to pull them through. Not worth the trouble. Not to mention when you get them stuck you have to drill and saw them out, complete waste

Comment

• albersj51
        5th Gear
        • May 2010

With poly bushings, like great basin rovers, is the fitment after galvanizing less of a hassle since they don't slide all the way in like rubber bushings?

Comment

• Mountain132
          Low Range
          • Apr 2008

I think it's more because they have some give to them so the diameters don't have to be a precision match, it does help that you can push them in from both sides. You can do it by hand or may need a rubber mallet to get the inner sleeve in.

The factory rover ones are so tight that you might as well be trying to push a solid piece of steel through the hole. If they don't go in, they don't go in

Comment

• albersj51
            5th Gear
            • May 2010

ill probably go that route. So the polys would require less reaming of the frame after galving to get them to fit? If so, thats another advantage since you're less likely to wear through the zinc and therefore risk rust.

Comment

• masonater
              3rd Gear
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Mountain132
              I think it's more because they have some give to them so the diameters don't have to be a precision match, it does help that you can push them in from both sides. You can do it by hand or may need a rubber mallet to get the inner sleeve in.

The factory rover ones are so tight that you might as well be trying to push a solid piece of steel through the hole. If they don't go in, they don't go in
              I can vouch for that!! my 12 ton press could hardly do it, even after putting the bushings on the lathe and taking a good amount of material off.
              1970 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
              1971 Series IIA 109 EX-MOD
              1982 Mercedes 300TD
              1989 RRC
              1993 D110
              1994 RRC LWB
              1995 RRC SWB Brooklands Edition
              1995 RRC LWB
              1995 RRC LWB
              1995 Disco
              1996 GMC 2500 Suburban
              1996 Disco
              1997 Disco
              2001 RR P38
              2005 LR3 HSE
              2006 RR HSE

Comment

• Mercedesrover
                3rd Gear
                • Oct 2006

Originally posted by masonater
                I can vouch for that!! my 12 ton press could hardly do it, even after putting the bushings on the lathe and taking a good amount of material off.
                That is a great picture.

After following a RRC in the Anza-Borrego Desert and getting pelted with chunks of blue poly-bush until they were gone, I'm not sure I'd trust them myself.

After I galvanized my 109 frame I reamed the holes out with a bit of course sand paper wrapped around a socket driven by an impact wrench. I drove the bushings in with a ball-joint press. It's not my favorite job but it worked well enough. As far as clearance goes, I'd think no more than a .002"-.004" interference fit. Leave it a little loose and use some Permatex bearing and sleeve mount if you're worried they'll spin.
                www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• Terrys
                  Overdrive
                  • May 2007

I'd say anything more than a few thous (3-5)and you would be hard pressed to get them in. WOW that was a pun not intended. I've done them hitting the frame with a rosebud torch while the bushings were in the freezer overnight, without a major pain, but you can't waste a lot of time. I used a long threaded rod and impact wrench. For all the agro it may seem, it's a lot better than listening to the clunk of sliding busings everytime you make a hard turn. I recently replaced the rear crossmember in my 88 and those bushings can be pushed side to side with your thumb. Since the inner tube is longer than the outer, your shackles tighten up up on the inner tube with about 1/8" clearance on both sides, allowing a loose bushing a country mile to wander back and forth.

Comment

• stonefox
                    4th Gear
                    • Jul 2010

Thanks for your response. Being I already have the factory bushs thats what I'm going to use.I'll let you guys say "I told you so" if it goes bad.
                    Mercedes, I looked into the Permatex stuff and found three differt ones, "for a close fit ", "for a relaxed fit",and "for a worn fit".I wasn't sure if you were sending me to buy a pair of jeans or what? They all seem to have similar specs.
                    By the way,what is the importance of this super tight fit anyway if the bushes are held captive by the shackles?They won't slide out from side to side.What would it hurt if they did spin a little ,it would seem that they would wear more evenly? Just wondering
                    Sean

1970 88"
                    1971 88"
                    authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

You don't want the outer sleeve to spin because it will wear into the frame, causing it to become oversized. THAT doesn't sound fun to fix!
                      Jason

Comment

• Terrys
                        Overdrive
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by stonefox
                        By the way,what is the importance of this super tight fit anyway if the bushes are held captive by the shackles?They won't slide out from side to side.What would it hurt if they did spin a little ,it would seem that they would wear more evenly? Just wondering
                        The shackles are tight to the inner sleeve, not the outer, which is recessed a good 1/8" on each end. The overqll length of the outer sleeve is the same as the frame, so if the bushing isn't tight, it will slide back and forth a 1/4", with a good clunk on each end. I have to think this woulld also cause handling issues, un-even rear tire wear, and shorten the front bushing life also.

Comment

• stonefox
                          4th Gear
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                          You don't want the outer sleeve to spin because it will wear into the frame, causing it to become oversized. THAT doesn't sound fun to fix!
                          Well that makes sense Jason. I knew deep down ,you weren't totally full of BS.
                          Sean

1970 88"
                          1971 88"
                          authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

Awe shucks, thanks Sean.
                            Seriously, though, Terrys answer is spot on also. You definitely don't want the outer casing to spin in the frame.
                            Jason

Comment

• stonefox
                              4th Gear
                              • Jul 2010

Its all becoming clearer now......You fellas are swell!
                              Sean

1970 88"
                              1971 88"
                              authenticstoneworks.com

Comment

Working...