X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

P38 power steering conversion ??

I had a line on a Scout 2 steering system on the cheap, but haven't heard back. Taking TAW's advice I'm looking into the p38 converson as well. What's the spline for the u-joints on the p38 system? also, am I correct that the p38 pitman arm is of the correct length so no cutting/re-reaming is needed? Also, will the p38 pitman arm fit the series tie rod ends/joints without modification?

I hear late model astro/safari vans have the perfect intermediate shaft for the scout 2 conversion, is it the same for the p38 or is there another easily sourced part that works with it?

Other than TAW's site there is little info on the p38 conversion and I want the most plug-and-play (wishful thinking, I know!), cost effective option.

Thanks for the feedback!

Jason
  • albersj51
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

Found the pitman arm/tie rod answer, which is yes, no mod needed.

I found another question though...which pump/hoses to use?

Thanks!

Comment

• mongoswede
      5th Gear
      • May 2010

I've been thinking about installing a manual scout steering setup into my truck. The units I see share the same bolt pattern as the power units, are pretty inexpensive, and would simplify the steering linkage. Also, later if i wanted to go to power steering it will be an easier swap.

Comment

• leafsprung
        Overdrive
        • Nov 2006

fj60 box is also very viable. Longer and greater production than P38

Comment

• albersj51
          5th Gear
          • May 2010

I've looked for the fj60 box too, but haven't found many for a good price.

Comment

• leafsprung
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

try Ih8mud.com I recently found 2 RHD FJ60 boxes there for 50 ea so Im guessing LHD boxes would be a cinch

Comment

• albersj51
              5th Gear
              • May 2010

Thanks for the tip, Ike! I looked there a few times, but didnt see any. I'll look again. I'd have to figure out the pitman arm/tie rods/drag link.

Comment

• leafsprung
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

post a want ad they will come out of the wood work, stock pitman works. Youll need to change the drag link with any swap . . .

Comment

• albersj51
                  5th Gear
                  • May 2010

True. the original plan was to use series TRE's by cutting the drag link amd welding into larger DOM tubing...but thats just seems too cheap..even for me
                  Last edited by albersj51; 04-09-2011, 07:57 PM. Reason: Spelling erroe

Comment

• yorker
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by leafsprung
                    fj60 box is also very viable. Longer and greater production than P38
                    I bet they are cheaper to rebuild if need be too.
                    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• albersj51
                      5th Gear
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by yorker
                      I bet they are cheaper to rebuild if need be too.
                      Very good point! I know the scout pumps cost my right arm to rebuild!

Question: mercedes jim recommends using fj60 TREs due to strength/availability...how do you get them to fit in the series passenger side "hub"? dont know the name, its the piece at the swivel housing where two TREs meet. Does it have to be reamed to fit, or does it slide in without modification?

Comment

• yorker
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

Are you talking about the TRE taper? Jim said they fit as is IIRC. I think it has been subject to some debate on the old G&R forum, you could search there. http://gunsandrovers.yuku.com/directory
                        1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• albersj51
                          5th Gear
                          • May 2010

Thanks, yorker...read that and it made my head spin!

Comment

• Mercedesrover
                            3rd Gear
                            • Oct 2006

FJ60 box and pitman arm, Rover tie-rod ends, 5/8" heavy wall tube tapped to the Rover 11/16"x16 thread. The Rover ends fit the Toyota pitman arm already so there's no need to figure out tapers. Here's a link to a page I put together about it. I run the exact same set-up on my 88 and my 109.
                            www.seriestrek.com

Comment

• albersj51
                              5th Gear
                              • May 2010

thanks, jim! I've read through your page many times...good stuff!

Where did you get your heavy duty tie rod ends?

Also, when you sleeved the rover column, what all did you have to do? Ill likely take it to a machine shop, so I want to know what to tell them.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...