X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bostonian1976
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

Pressure You Run In Your Tires?

What do you guys run on your 15" wheels? I have smallish tires - don't know exact size at the moment. I have 30 in there now but the ride is sort of "wandering" lately and I'm wondering if it's the air pressure
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces
  • Bostonian1976
    5th Gear
    • Nov 2006

I love begging for replies
    '67 sort of station wagon (limestone), '65 gray hardtop, '63 blue Station Wagon, '64 limestone station wagon in pieces

Comment

• Terrys
      Overdrive
      • May 2007

I Thought all series trucks wandered ?
      I think 30 psi is on the high end of ok, and high pressures may cause a truck to steer funky, but it largely depends on tread type and width. I personally run about 26 psi in my 2A, with quite skinny (7.00x16") Sometimes, a pound or two either way will make the difference.

Comment

• Bostonian1976
        5th Gear
        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Terrys
        I Thought all series trucks wandered ?
        I think 30 psi is on the high end of ok, and high pressures may cause a truck to steer funky, but it largely depends on tread type and width. I personally run about 26 psi in my 2A, with quite skinny (7.00x16") Sometimes, a pound or two either way will make the difference.
        hmm okay thanks...guess I'll have to play around with it some more....

thanks for replying

Comment

• Momo
          3rd Gear
          • Dec 2006

tire pressure

I've actually run mine as high as 75 psi. Steers easier at low speeds and feels better on the freeway. Downside is a tooth-rattling ride.

Been running 45 psi for awhile now. Best of all worlds.

This is on 235/85 16s on a 109 pickup
          '60 SII Station Wagon
          '64 SIIA 109 Regular
          '68 SIIA 88 Station Wagon

Comment

• Jim-ME
            Overdrive
            • Oct 2006

I run 42 psi in 33-9.50-15. I don't seem to get heavy wear in the center of the tires which would tell me they are over inflated.

Comment

• Bostonian1976
              5th Gear
              • Nov 2006

thanks guys. How straight do you track down the road? I'm really finding that I'm wandering quite a bit lately - I've been driving a BMW Z4 when I'm not driving the Rover though and I'm wondering if it's just the contrast that I'm forgetting about.....

Comment

• Tim Smith
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Bostonian1976
                thanks guys. How straight do you track down the road? I'm really finding that I'm wandering quite a bit lately - I've been driving a BMW Z4 when I'm not driving the Rover though and I'm wondering if it's just the contrast that I'm forgetting about.....
                I think it's hard to say about the wandering... Are your roads crested? Big hump in the middle with a drop off on each side? My back roads are and it makes the truck want to fall off the side of the road. My car however has power steering and it doesn't seem as effected by the road conditions.

Could that be the effect?

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                  5th Gear
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Tim Smith
                  I think it's hard to say about the wandering... Are your roads crested? Big hump in the middle with a drop off on each side? My back roads are and it makes the truck want to fall off the side of the road. My car however has power steering and it doesn't seem as effected by the road conditions.

Could that be the effect?

Maybe! Yeah they are crested...but it seems to be doing this all the time...on every road. I seem to remember it tracking pretty straight, but now I find that I'm always correcting the steering....and I don't remember doing that last summer....

Comment

• Tim Smith
                    Overdrive
                    • Nov 2006

Maybe! Yeah they are crested...but it seems to be doing this all the time...on every road. I seem to remember it tracking pretty straight, but now I find that I'm always correcting the steering....and I don't remember doing that last summer....
                    I don't know. It's kind of a guess.

Maybe now is a good time to grease on your steering linkages and oil your swivel balls. It's always a good time to add oil to your rover!

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                      5th Gear
                      • Nov 2006

I don't know. It's kind of a guess.

Maybe now is a good time to grease on your steering linkages and oil your swivel balls. It's always a good time to add oil to your rover!
                      yeah the puddles in my storage unit tell me it's probably time

I guess I'll just play with air pressure and see what results I get. Sounds like some of you are saying that 30 is a little low......which always leads to more wandering (softer sidewalls)

Comment

• Tim Smith
                        Overdrive
                        • Nov 2006

...and I don't remember doing that last summer...
                        Oh. Just reread your post. Now I get it.

It's been a while since you last drove the thing so you've lost your upper body "series strength"! LOL.

There is a good reason why series drivers never get caught up in Bar fights. We tend to look like Popeye!

Comment

• Bostonian1976
                          5th Gear
                          • Nov 2006

Oh. Just reread your post. Now I get it.

It's been a while since you last drove the thing so you've lost your upper body "series strength"! LOL.

There is a good reason why series drivers never get caught up in Bar fights. We tend to look like Popeye!
                          haha.

I feel like I'm doing the thing like they do in old movies - you know when they spend about 5 minutes looking at the person that they're talking to next to them while moving the wheel back and forth a lot on a straight road? (and the fake scenery whizzes by?)

Checked all linkages and components - everything is good and tight. Steering column is well screwed down to the frame (when I first bought it, these nuts were pretty loose and the steering had a lot of slack)
                          Last edited by Bostonian1976; 05-29-2007, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• Tim Smith
                            Overdrive
                            • Nov 2006

yeah the puddles in my storage unit tell me it's probably time

I guess I'll just play with air pressure and see what results I get. Sounds like some of you are saying that 30 is a little low......which always leads to more wandering (softer sidewalls)
                            FWIW, I run 25psi all around in my tires which are 33" mud terrains mounted on 16" wheels. Not only have they calmed the ride a bit, I think they have helped the grip.

About 6 months ago I was running closer to 40 psi and was complaining that the thing was locking up the brakes too easily in emergency stops. Lowering the pressure seems to have helped with these mud tires.

Cheers,

Comment

• daveb
                              5th Gear
                              • Nov 2006

tracking straight

hey guys

my land rovers have all tracked dead straight when properly setup, I can let go of the steering wheel for a good while. no BS.

something is wrong if you can't.

I run radials anywhere from 32-40psi. i think the factory recommendation was for 28-32 with bias plys, those tend to have thicker sidewalls though so you generally want to go higher with a radial which tend to have thinner sidewalls.

35-36 should work for most conditions. back before I knew what I was doing I ran a friend's 109 up to maine for the downeeast rally, the guys on the trail were dumbfounded when I told them I was running 80psi. no wonder I couldn't get over the smallest obstacle. the truck really came alive when we aired down to 25...

btw I didn't put all that air in there. I won't say who did though he knows who he is. but I didn't think anything was wrong with it so I'm just as guilty.

the guy who said he is running 75 psi, those tirs are going to be bald in the middle before long, it is too high for a series LR even heavily loaded.

rgrds
                              dave
                              A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

Working...