X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cutter
    4th Gear
    • Feb 2009

Ordered a Pertronix, replace Coil?

In an attempt to sort out why my 109 is misbehaving, I decided now was a good time to switch over to electronic ignition. Found a Mustang shop that sold the pertronix unit for the 6cyl Lucas Dizzy, so its in the mail.

Should I replace the coil? Is there something in particular I need or is the stock good enough?

I had also asked this in my breakdown thread, but how does one know when to replace the dizzy cap- I have 4 sitting in boxes and a few look brand new. Is there a visible indicator of wear, or is more just a replace every so often?
    • May 2010

I bought a pertronix coil as well, but didn't need to. If yours works and you want to save a few bucks, use what you have.

Comment

• gudjeon
      5th Gear
      • Oct 2006

I put in a Pertronix. I also went and set mine up similar to an early 70's North America spec electronic ignition. Did I have to? I dunno, but it works like a charm. I put in what I was familiar with as far as specs go. I put in an OEM replacement coil from early Chrysler electronic ignition, ballast, and opened up the Rover plug gap to .040". I had the coil HT wire off one time and the bugger jumps an inch gap cranking over. Can't be too bad.

As for the dizzy cap and rotor. I replace when the inside contacts start getting burnt to a greater extent. You can get away with a little. Also, the carbon button that is in the centre can wear down after a while.

Comment

• ptschram
        Low Range
        • Jun 2008

If the coil you're using does not have a 1.5 ohm current limiting resistor, you run the risk of burning up the pick-up coil in the distributor if the reluctor should be pointing at the pick-up at the instant you turn the key on.

I have a Bosch coil from an EFI Rover in my 109, but it's getting the correct coil later today if I find time.

Comment

• jac04
          Overdrive
          • Feb 2007

^^ According to Pertronix, a 3.0 Ohm coil is required:
          The experts at PerTronix are ready to help you choose the perfect high performance ignition and exhaust products. We're enthusiasts too!

Comment

• Andrew IIA
            3rd Gear
            • Feb 2008

I have a standard Lucas coil hooked up to my Pertronix-loaded dizzy (10 years no problems)
            Andrew
            '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

• LR Max
              3rd Gear
              • Feb 2010

Same here. Ran a petronix coil for many years, it crapped out, put on the previous Lucas. Its fine.

Bought a whatever-brand 3 ohm coil at advance auto for 20 bucks as my backup.

Comment

• Cutter
                4th Gear
                • Feb 2009

Well according to the instructions in the pertronix, mine was able to run on both 1.5 or 3. I used my existing coil, but I had to make a splitter for the positive terminal as that's where the fuel pump also connects. Works beautifully, the engine has never been this smooth.

Comment

Working...