X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superstator
    2nd Gear
    • Aug 2008

Land Rover Life Lesson 785

Never avoid a task because you assume it will be difficult.

Last winter on a frosty mowning, my drivers side wiper stopped moving and started making a horrible grinding noise. I made a cursory investigation and decided I must have stripped the gear inside. Assuming I'd have to replace the whole worm driver cable thingy, which would mean reinstalling the wiper motor I'd just replaced (easily the most frustrating repair I've made so far), I decided to just ignore it till I started my tear-down. This meant I couldn't drive it on rainy days for the last six months, which this being Oregon means I've driven it about 3 times since.

Tonight I was taking the dash apart, after getting the roof & windscreen off this weekend. I undid the four screws holding the defroster vents up, and finally got a look at the back of the wiper. One nut had fallen off, letting the worm drive slide away from the wiper. Four screws, ten minutes, and one new nut would have had her back on the road in November.

Lesson learned...
    '67 109 NADA #413 - rebuilding w/ TDI & galvy chassis.
  • artpeck
    3rd Gear
    • Dec 2009

Very good point. Although rover life lesson 786 is that your assume it is going to be a few screws and 10 minutes and a few hours later you have a wing panel off and an express parts order on the way...
    1995 NAS D-90 Soft Top, AA Yellow
    1973 Series III '88 Hard Top, Limestone
    1957 Series I, Deep bronze green

Comment

• smukai
      Low Range
      • Jul 2007

Lesson 787...

That you are going to call Rovers North three times for your project.

The first time is for everything you think you need.
      The second call is a week later for what you forgot to order.
      The third call is two weeks later for what you just broke.

That timeline is only when I am motivated...often the calls have a month gap. Ok, I'll be honest, sometimes ever a year gap.
      Seth

'67 IIa 109 Station Wagon (the daughter's toy)
      2003 XC70 (for the dog)
      2006 XC70 (for the wife/daughter/son)
      2002 650 Dakar (for trip planning purposes)

Comment

• printjunky
        3rd Gear
        • Jul 2007

784: (possibly the most well-documented of all) Any one thing you attempt to tackle, will always beget at least one other thing.

(It's a good bet that the specific subordinate variations to this would be nearing infinity)
        e.g:
        784a.
        784a.1.
        784a.1.†

and on ....

Comment

Working...