Rear tub quarter replacement.....Success (I think)...Pictures of today's project!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knac1234
    4th Gear
    • Nov 2010

skeeball-

I think it helps to have a second person (as I did) when you go to put the panel on. You can't really go wrong with lining it up.

The door jamb side, there is a right angled-lip on the panel that must go flush against the door jamb (which takes care of left-right alignment).

Up/down alignment is dictated by the "top" of the door jamb and the top of the rear corner (where the lamps are).....the top of the new panel sits flush with those 2 corners. I had to push the rear corner lamp panel in a hair and rivet it in place to hold the new panel. The adhesive doesn't dry right away.....you have some time if needed to play with fit.

Lastly, the galvy trim will cover any miniscule deviations from absolute perfection on fit.

Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• Skeeball
      Low Range
      • Nov 2007

Gotcha
      Thanks Julian
      1964 Series IIa In progress
      1968 S IIa (Sold)
      1972 S III (Sold)
      1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

Comment

• knac1234
        4th Gear
        • Nov 2010

Will post pics of my left side (will be doing that 8/13). Waiting for yours too skeeball
        Julian
        Julian
        72 Series III NAS
        03 Disco
        65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
        71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• TedW
          5th Gear
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Skeeball
          Julian I am concerned about getting everything all lined up once I use that panel adhesive..
          Skeeball:

I replaced my rr quarterpanel a few years ago, and used the self-same 3m stuff as Julian. You have plenty of time to get things lined up after you apply the epoxy. In my view, the trickiest part is keeping outside pressure on the horizontal joint. You can rivet the top and front edges (none of which will show in the end) and clamp the back. It's the horizontal joint to the tub that's tricky. I used a 75 lb. bag of tube sand and a heavy table that was just the right height. The bag of sand was rolling off the edge of the table and hitting the panel at just the right spot.

Comment

• Skeeball
            Low Range
            • Nov 2007

I am only doing the 2 rear panels ( where the tail lights are) and the long piece that runs across the entire width of the tub from side to side its the piece that the rear crossmember bolts to. I think I will be fine but it still is something I am not looking forward to doing..
            1964 Series IIa In progress
            1968 S IIa (Sold)
            1972 S III (Sold)
            1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

Comment

• TedW
              5th Gear
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Skeeball
              I am only doing the 2 rear panels ( where the tail lights are) and the long piece that runs across the entire width of the tub from side to side its the piece that the rear crossmember bolts to. I think I will be fine but it still is something I am not looking forward to doing..
              I suspect that they will be a piece o' cake compared to the quarter panels.

Comment

• knac1234
                4th Gear
                • Nov 2010

Not only easier, but FINDING the panels is easier!!! Very available and cheap!

Julian
                Julian
                72 Series III NAS
                03 Disco
                65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
                71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• Bertha
                  3rd Gear
                  • Nov 2007

I have also used this method with great success, however I go one step further and I bought a punch with the same size diameter as the original spots welds. I tap the new metal with the punch to create the original spot weld look across the panel. Sorry I have OCD.
                  1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
                  1971 88 (restored and as new)
                  1967 88 (the next project)

Comment

Working...