X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rickv100
    1st Gear
    • Aug 2010

34 ich - idiling high

My Land Rover has started to run at a high idle and not drop down after warming up.

Usually after a couple of minutes it will drop down.

Where should I start looking at the vaccumn lines or somewhere else?

Thanks,

Rick
    73 xMOD S3 109
    52 M37
  • knac1234
    4th Gear
    • Nov 2010

Rick,

I think you have a brake booster. If you do, mine went bad, and caused the truck to idle higher than normal (also have Weber 34ICH). Drove it like that for a while, but during the light resto I am doing, will replace the booster.....that will cure the problem.

I am sure there are other possiblities......just one I've experienced recently.

Cheers,
    Julian
    Julian
    72 Series III NAS
    03 Disco
    04 Freelander (sold, but still running strong)
    2011 LR2 (Fuji White/Tan....per the wife )
    65 MGB / 73 MGBGT
    71 RHD Hillman Super Imp

Comment

• NickDawson
      5th Gear
      • Apr 2009

agree with double checking the booster, including the little nut on the outside bottom, if its fallen out or rusted away, you'd have an air leak.

You can also get a short section of garden hose and use it like a stethoscope - put one end to your ear and trace it along the vacuum lines, outside of carb, etc and listen for the sucking sound of a leak.

Comment

• jac04
        Overdrive
        • Feb 2007

Also check to make sure that the choke is fully opening and you are not running on the elevated idle that is engaged when the choke is starting to close.

Comment

• rickv100
          1st Gear
          • Aug 2010

Would a high idle have anything to do with clogged jets? I had a problem a week ago where the truck suddenly started having fuel problems when I switched to my passengers side fuel tank (exMod truck). I cleaned the screen in the fuel pump and the inline fuel filter I have.

The truck is still running rough and has a high idle issue. It did not do this prior to the fuel issue.

Rick
          73 xMOD S3 109
          52 M37

Comment

• rickv100
            1st Gear
            • Aug 2010

** sorry for double post, unable to delete ***
            Would a high idle have anything to do with clogged jets? I had a problem a week ago where the truck suddenly started having fuel problems when I switched to using my passengers side fuel tank (exMod truck and drivers side has started to leak). I cleaned the screen in the fuel pump and the inline fuel filter I have.

The truck is still running rough and has a high idle issue. It did not do this prior to the fuel issue.

Rick
            73 xMOD S3 109
            52 M37

Comment

• rickv100
              1st Gear
              • Aug 2010

Solved

I took the top of the carb, cleaned the fuel bowl and blew out the jets. Rover is back to running like normal now.

Rick
              73 xMOD S3 109
              52 M37

Comment

Working...