X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lord Icon
    1st Gear
    • Jul 2008

Sand ladders

Our hosts have on offer a set of Brit aluminum sand ladders. I bought a set for my last rover from them, used quite often but I sent them with the truck when it was sold....
    Having said that. My new rover project is in need of a set as well. I have encountered a source of US Army spec steel ladders WWII issue , all other specs being the same , just steel alloy instead of light aluminum. The price is 1/3 of the aluminum ones but 2 times the weight. ( about 65 lbs for a pair of 5 footers.)
    Anyone have any thoughts?
    Whence came you my brother ? From the East....
  • luckyjoe
    3rd Gear
    • Oct 2006

Yeah, forget it. Try an organize a group-buy of 4x8 sheets of GRP grid. You can then cut them to your desired length/width and have a nice durable, non-rusting set at a fraction of retail. You'd have to do a little work though...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS

Comment

• SafeAirOne
      Overdrive
      • Apr 2008

I suspect that you probably won't get a whole lot of use out of them where you are located, so either one would be the same. Bridging ladders, maybe.

GRP grid can be used in both roles, however.
      --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
      (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• Lord Icon
        1st Gear
        • Jul 2008

errr...

The rust thing is not of concern. They have been stored out in the weather for 50 years in stacks and have a nice patina on them but still no rust yet. These were designed for landing mat in the Pacific, salt air and all. As for use, I could have used them at the winter romp. The mud hole that ate the axle off the Jeep in front of me could have used them as well.
        Whence came you my brother ? From the East....

Comment

• Skookumchuck
          2nd Gear
          • Oct 2010

You also have to admit they do look good on the roof rack
          1968 Series IIA
          1987 D90 Kid's project
          German wirehair Pointer (Wood Hound)

Comment

• Triumphdaytona2007
            Low Range
            • Aug 2010

i have both the steel and the aluminum mats i keep the aluminum on the truck, i like them better, the steel just seems too heavy to mess with but i found them for $10 at a flea market the aluminum ramps were 150 from tlr
            1964 Series IIa 109" Pick-Up RHD
            1965 Series IIa 88" Wagon LHD
            1968 Series IIa 109" Station Wagon LHD

Comment

• Rat Patrol
              1st Gear
              • Nov 2006

Why not fabricate a mounting system to use the ladders as the rear bench?
              1973 Series III 88. "PHYDXO"

Comment

• Andrew IIA
                3rd Gear
                • Feb 2008

Man, sand ladders would look cool on my roof rack........... I like cool. I drive on soft sand ALL the time (for good and ill) and haven't had a need for sand ladders since.. ever. I'd like some alum bridging ladders though, they'd look cool too.
                Andrew
                '63 SIIA 88" SW

http://hungrynaturalist.blogspot.com/

Rover Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/skunkal...7610584998247/

Comment

Working...