• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRBear
    Low Range
    • Jun 2007

Series IIa 2.6L 6cyl Parts Sources?

Hi everyone!

I have a '68-'69 Series IIa w a 2.6L 6cyl engine.

Can anyone recommend a complete source for engine parts for this 2.6L 6-cylinder engine?

-Rovers North has some parts for this engine , but some are listed as "No Longer Available" (such as Water Pump Gaskets, Inlet Gaskets, etc.)
    And they don't carry 2.6L items like Camshafts, Water Pumps, Water Pump Gaskets, etc. They also appear to only offer rebuilt heads and long-block engines for the 4cyl engines, not the 6cyl.
    -John Craddock appears to have many parts for this engine, but certainly not all.
    -Paddock doesn't appear to carry any parts for this engine....
    -Atlantic British has very few parts for the 2.6L....

Where is my best source for 2.6L tune-up parts & engine performance upgrade parts?

ALSO, (thinking ahead here) can anyone recommend a US source for having this engine rebuilt? OR for having any other drivetrain components rebuilt?

THANKS!!
    "LR Bear"
    SeriesIIa 109"LWB 2.6L-6cyl RHD
  • LWB109
    Low Range
    • Feb 2007

Hey Bear,
    Best bet is to call Pauls Safari in Niagra Falls,Ontario.
    He has a very good collection of 2.6 litre parts and more.
    I've dealt with him for years now.
    Great guy, knowledgable as well.
    905-262-4448
    Best of Luck.

Comment

• fruitpunch
      1st Gear
      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by LRBear
      68-'69 Series IIa w a 2.6L 6cyl engine.
      Sorry to curb your excitement about this engine..... the 2.6l 6cyl is considered by far the most undesirable engine LR has ever put into a vehicle.

Hence almost nobody carries any parts for it, some gaskets are the same as the 2.0l 4cyl from the Series One. But basicly you won't find many shops carry too many spares.

Robert Davis in VA must have at least 10 spare engines as he has been converting them for many years now for customers. The design of the head is the problem regardless if 2.6l or 3.0l it just that simple.
      1967 MGB convertible
      1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
      1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
      1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
      1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Comment

• singingcamel
        4th Gear
        • Oct 2006

i have a complete engine out of a 1967 109. i'll sell the complete engine or the parts ,what ever you need.

Comment

• giorgio
          Low Range
          • Jan 2007

Just suppose that you had the only NADA 1968 Series IIA, 109 2.6L Carawagon ever built. VIN # 34300768A. Desirable engine or not, would you not want to keep it as original as possible?

I, too, would be interested in finding sources for parts for this engine. (For future use, as it is running fine now.)

Thanks to any who might have some input.

Giorgio

Comment

• jp-
            5th Gear
            • Oct 2006

Giorgio,

Do you have such a vehicle? (pics required for proof).
            61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
            66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
            66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
            67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
            88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• fruitpunch
              1st Gear
              • Oct 2006

Again if you contact Robert Davis in VA he must have at least 10 of these, some with low miles.
              1967 MGB convertible
              1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
              1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
              1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
              1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Comment

• Richard
                Low Range
                • Nov 2006

I just finished rebuilding a NADA 2.6L engine. Yes, the parts are hard to find, yes, the engine is old and out of date (even when it was new). So, no, it is probably not a good choice for a commuter car, and no, you probably won´t want to thrash it as a trail rig (not without a trailer to bring it home). On the other hand, if you like owning a car with a bit of character, and you have the patience... and funding, what a great piece of Rover history to own. A unique vehicle among a field of already unique vehicles.

I was lucky, the engine that came with my truck had the head off, and would´t turn. I bought a second engine to run in it. After some work. I was able to free up the original motor. I took it apart thinking to use it as spares. It was in such good fundamental shape that I ended up rebuilding it. I think I have close to $2000 in the engine (my local shop did the work). A GM straight six would be WAY cheaper, if that is what you want. It wasn´t for me.

Finding parts in the US is spotty. Only 811 2.6l sold by Rover in this market. In England, though, more parts are available, but still hard to find. Google is your friend. But for just tune up parts the US vendors seem to have most of it covered. Rovers North is my first stop, then down the list. Moss Motors has a huge selection of Lucas parts - all indexed by use on other British Cars.

There is a guy in Olympia Washington that professionally restores Rovers. He is keen on the 2.6l and has a lot of parts for them. Mind you, he does high end restorations, and people that have it pay him a lot of money for his stuff. He has been very helpful to me, but I an not in his league, so I scrounge up everything I can myself. But I don´t fault him for making a living the way he does.

It seems like the 2.6l owners are quite active on the Rover boards (no coindence). If you need help, or a source for something specific, just ask.

-Richard

1967 NADA 109 IIa SW
                1974 88 III

Comment

• daveb
                  5th Gear
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Richard
                  for just tune up parts the US vendors seem to have most of it covered.
                  Does that include lower end bearings?

Originally posted by Richard
                  There is a guy in Olympia Washington that professionally restores Rovers.
                  Charles Kellog is well known in the LR community. He certainly does talk up his work quite a bit.
                  A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Comment

• LRBear
                    Low Range
                    • Jun 2007

THANKS!! 8-)

THANKS Everyone for the responses!!

I just imported this one in from the UK. Runs Great (right now), but I wanted to be ready for when it needs repairs.

As far as the 2.6 being desirable or undesirable, I think it simply depends upon who you ask (as can be seen by the responses above). While it will never be considered a high-performance motor, at least it is different than most of the other LRs, AND it is original.

I also own several Austin-Healeys (mostly Sprites) and while I love driving my '65 Sprite Vintage Racer w the 140+ HP JSR racing motor, or my highly modified '59 Bugeye w the 250+ HP Bridgeported 13B Mazda Rotary, it is always my bone stock (& 100% original) '60 Bugeye that attracts the most attention & affection.

With that in mind I'm planning on keeping my LR 2.6 for some time to come. At least until I decide to swap it w something REALLY impressive, like maybe one of the newer LR Supercharged engines!

Again, THANKS!!

-Bear-
                    catia_bear@yahoo.com
                    "LR Bear"

Comment

• singingcamel
                      4th Gear
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by giorgio
                      Just suppose that you had the only NADA 1968 Series IIA, 109 2.6L Carawagon ever built. VIN # 34300768A. Desirable engine or not, would you not want to keep it as original as possible?

I, too, would be interested in finding sources for parts for this engine. (For future use, as it is running fine now.)

Thanks to any who might have some input.

Giorgio
                      i have a complete engine available as well as a few misc parts,fuel pumps vaccum booster? marc

Comment

• giorgio
                        Low Range
                        • Jan 2007

jp-

Yes I do own said vehicle. Much of the Carawagon camping gear has been removed by the previous owners. I still have the plumbing for the propane gas cylinders, the tracks for the curtains, and a few pieces of wood, and Carawagon and Searle "emblems" on the back. It never had the raising roof. I believe that it was the "Continental" model. I have heard that they were all made to order for the purchaser.

I haven"t quite mastered the photo posting routine on this board.
                        Last edited by giorgio; 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• giorgio
                          Low Range
                          • Jan 2007

LRBear

If you imported your Land Rover from England, then I guess that perhaps it does not have he Weslake Head that they put on the NADA 2.6L engines.

Is that correct? It may make it easier for you to find parts, or not, I do not know.
                          Last edited by giorgio; 05-14-2008, 02:44 PM.

Comment

• giorgio
                            Low Range
                            • Jan 2007

LRBear
                            View of the other side of the engine

Comment

• LRBear
                              Low Range
                              • Jun 2007

Here's a pic of mine...

Here's my engine...
                              (old pic; engine bay looks a tad bit cleaner today...)

Looks the same from the RHS (looking aft), but that air cleaner in your pics and the casting behind it looks quite different...

So I'm not sure....

Are there any identifying marks or numbers I should look for??

-Bear-
                              "LR Bear"

Comment

Working...