Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • transalpian
    Low Range
    • Aug 2011

They were on the truck when I bought it. I have confirmed they are not from RM or RN, however.

I've talked to both RM and RN regarding recommendations but do not yet have a concensus.

I'm leaning toward three spring versus two since I run the hardtop and have dual fuel tanks. Any concerns here?

This will be a spring 2012 project, so I am taking time to do all the reseach I can (occupational hazard, I guess).

Comment

• Skeeball
      Low Range
      • Nov 2007

Hard tellin not knowin but perhaps the ones you have were made by Haystee OR TI Console?? I think that those have a bump stop on the 3rd leaf at the end
      1964 Series IIa In progress
      1968 S IIa (Sold)
      1972 S III (Sold)
      1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

Comment

• Skeeball
        Low Range
        • Nov 2007

I was at RN recently and spoke to Mark He said the RN Parabolics are made by British Spring. I have no experience with them and am currently deciding which way to go as well. It is all pretty confusing. i asked on another board and found that there were 8 users of parabolice that opted for the 2 front 3 rear setup and that 3 went with 2 front/2 rear (one owner had a tropical roof and a winch) all were satisfied ...So that confuses things more..
        I do knoow for a fact that with the 2/3 setup the 88 rides and handles a lot better with weight in back.
        Please let us know what you decide to do!
        At the moment I am leaning towards 2/3
        1964 Series IIa In progress
        1968 S IIa (Sold)
        1972 S III (Sold)
        1996 Discovery SE-7 (Sold)

Comment

• transalpian
          Low Range
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Skeeball
          I was at RN recently and spoke to Mark He said the RN Parabolics are made by British Spring.
          Interesting. On Nov 21, Steve (of RN) told me their springs are produced by Woodhead (of India).

EDIT TO ADD:

Maybe this clears things up? (maybe not)

This domain name is available, own it today. Affordable payment options. Fast and professional service.

They indicate British Springs are produced in India, probably (my assumption) by Woodhead?
          Last edited by transalpian; 12-01-2011, 04:08 PM.

Comment

• transalpian
            Low Range
            • Aug 2011

Originally posted by Skeeball
            Please let us know what you decide to do!
            At the moment I am leaning towards 2/3
            Based on the condition of my existing springs, it would be a tough decision for me to go to a (perceived lighter-duty) two-leaf spring. I don't plan on replacing the fronts as they seem in excellent condition (they are 2 leafs, btw).

Comment

• cedryck
              5th Gear
              • Sep 2010

parabolic leaning,

I purchased rocky mountain parabolic springs, 2 front 2 rear (because of the price mainly) and since on the truck there is a noticable 1 3/4 lean to the right side. I did not yet try to switch them and see what happens. I suppose you could or just deal with the annoying lean. I suppose I could replaced them with balanced parabolics, the ones I have seen on LR's are pretty even to the eye. To me it is not a big deal, but I am disapointed in the quality control of this product.

Comment

• Terrys
                Overdrive
                • May 2007

British Spring is located in Doncaster, England, but don't know if they sub the parabolics out.
                A friend has had a non-stop revolving spring delivery with RN, And after the 3rd set, he's finally satisfied. I put RM on a soft top 88, 2/2 and it was OK. I just replaced the rears on my present 88 with Genuines. Parabolics won't handle the loads I subject that truck to (250 gallon sap tank, with 30 gallon gathering tank hung off the back). Genuines do just fine for me and I like their ride. My son has 2/4 parabolics on his Stage One (109 obviously) and it wallows at speed.

Comment

• transalpian
                  Low Range
                  • Aug 2011

So, having never driven this rover without the current springs, should I be looking at installing leafs rather than parabolics?

Thoughts?

Comment

• cedryck
                    5th Gear
                    • Sep 2010

nothing wrong

there is nothing wrong with oem stacked leaf springs. They do have a different ride charactoristic, but are great at loads. the problem is that when you and i get an original car, they need replacing. great comfy ride and good off road articulation with the para's. cheer mate, Jeffrey.

Comment

Working...