X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DGG
    2nd Gear
    • Nov 2006

Busted brake line in my 95 LWB

Looks like I have to make the brake line myself. Anyone know what size line and connectors? Its the line that goes from the bottom of the master cylinder to the drivers side front caliper. Also, I can't get the truck out of park since this happened. Brake pedal goes to the floor. Are the two related? Seems like it. Thanks for any help.
    Doug
    61 Series II 109 SW
    95 RR County LWB
    06 Range Rover
    98 Discovery LE
  • mearstrae
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2011

Your truck will be stuck in park until the brake problem is fixed. There's a solenoid on the trans that unlocks when you put your foot on the brake, pretty much any electrical fault in the brake system will keep it in park. This is why you have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of park when you first start your car. (My '96 Ford Van had this feature too, until a week ago). Should be able to get all the parts at a local autoparts store, take along the old pipe and fittings to be sure you get the right ones. Mine were replaced with stainless steel (Some folks here don't like using stainless), but I won't be changing them ever again.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
    '76 Series III Hybrid 109
    '70 Rover 3500S

Comment

• DGG
      2nd Gear
      • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mearstrae
      Your truck will be stuck in park until the brake problem is fixed. There's a solenoid on the trans that unlocks when you put your foot on the brake, pretty much any electrical fault in the brake system will keep it in park. This is why you have to have your foot on the brake to shift out of park when you first start your car. (My '96 Ford Van had this feature too, until a week ago). Should be able to get all the parts at a local autoparts store, take along the old pipe and fittings to be sure you get the right ones. Mine were replaced with stainless steel (Some folks here don't like using stainless), but I won't be changing them ever again.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
      '70 Rover 3500S
      Thanks for the reply. I was going to take the pipes to NAPA, but how do I keep the fluid from coming out while I have the pipes off? Definitely going with stainless. Thanks again.
      Doug
      61 Series II 109 SW
      95 RR County LWB
      06 Range Rover
      98 Discovery LE

Comment

• mearstrae
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2011

Well, the only way to keep the fluid in after the pipes are disconnected is use a plug in the hole. (If you leave the reservoir cap on it will slow it down a bit.) Be sure to use DOT4 brake fluid to refill, standard DOT 3 will cause big problems in the whole system.

'95 R.R.C. Lwb
        '70 Rover 3600S

Comment

• o2batsea
          Overdrive
          • Oct 2006

Pipes are 3/16. Fittings 10mm DIN flare.

Comment

Working...